Oleander a PSA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
For those of you with pets you may want to find out what plants in a given area are poisonous. My ignorance of it has landed Max the wonder puppy in the hospital with less than a 50% chance of surviving. He got a hold of some Oleander yesterday and barfed all through the night before I could get him to the hospital this morning. I did not know of Oleander until someone in camp mentioned it and sure enough I had walked him under a tree of it in bloom. He does have a chance according to the doctor because after 12 hours he did not have stomach pain nor issues with his heart yet. It can still happen but it's a good sign that it has not.

Oleander is a shrub or tree that is very popular in landscaping. It is so poisonous that a single leaf or sap from chewing a twig can kill a dog or small child. Even the honey that comes from its nectar is considered poisonous. Special care has to be taken while trimming it because the sap is a skin irritant. The pollen can make some people pretty ill too. The blooms come in more than one color. The one near me is white.

2020-05-02.jpeg

Attachments

• 2020-05-02.jpeg
    2020-05-02.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 13
Oh no Jim!!! Doug just walked over and let me know about poor Max. I’m so very sorry and am hoping for the best.

I only learned of them when I came to AZ.

Sending both of ya GOOD juju!!!

:heart:[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]:heart:[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] KaiLi Sends kisses to Max.... get well soon.... [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]:heart:

so sorry Jim, sending best doggie karma Max’s way. Let us know how he’s doing, and more important, how you are.

How absolutely terrifying.

My dog has never gotten over once being an abandoned and starving puppy, always seeming to want to taste things to see if they will provide sustenance. I have to watch her carefully when we walk.

Hope your pup makes a full recovery, and thanks for the warning.

Jim, I saw your little friend in one of your videos with Bob. Max was in my prayers last night, and I said another prayer for him this morning.

Godspeed little Max.

Thank you all.

I have good news this morning. The hospital is closed but they called to say that there is no sign of heart troubles or stomach pains. They are going to continue giving him charcoal to absorb the poison and fluids to flush his system today. It looks like I get to bring him home tomorrow if he continues to do well.

So glad he's on the mend! I'm surprised to see so much orleander planted around RV parks and campgrounds. I did not realize it was poisonous until a few years ago when a fellow camper's little dog drank some irrigation water at the base of a plant and got sick.

Whew! I can only imagine how stressful that was for you.

jimindenver said:
Thank you all.

I have good news this morning. The hospital is closed but they called to say that there is no sign of heart troubles or stomach pains. They are going to continue giving him charcoal to absorb the poison and fluids to flush his system today. It looks like I get to bring him home tomorrow if he continues to do well.

Jim, that's great news!

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I grew up around oleander in SoCal in the 50s [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]and I was[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] pretty young when I wa[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]s told[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] to avoid[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] even touching[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] it. It[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]'s still widely planted in freeway me[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]dians, but you don't see it on private property[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] nearly as often as you used to. [/font]

Sending healing thoughts to Max, and he really is a wonder dog.

Thank you everyone!

Max is home and resting

2020-05-04.jpeg

Attachments

• 2020-05-04.jpeg
    2020-05-04.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Pheww! Close call for you and your fuzzy buddy... Glad to see everything worked out!

I hadn't been on here in quite a while.  Thank you for warning us about oleander being poisonous.  Was very happy to finally read that Max came home and was doing ok.

Latest posts