Older foreign make vs. younger "Big Three"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I've been shopping for used minivans, and on my tight budget I'm limited to higher-mileage, previous-decade vehicles. Most of the ones falling across my radar are either GM models with about 90K miles on them or Japanese models (Sienna, Odyssey) pushing 130K. What I'm wondering is: all other things being equal (current mechanical condition, Carfax report, etc), would a 130K Toyota or Honda be a safer bet for several more years of responsible use than a 90K Dodge, Chrysler, etc?

If you're finding that small a difference in mileage and it's Toyota or Honda, yes in my experience it's worth it. Nissan or Mazda not so much. When I was looking the difference was greater for the same price, like 100k vs 180k.

Actually, I've found a 2009 Toyota Sienna with only 69K miles if I'm willing to stretch my budget a little. It's red (would prefer a lighter, more reflective color for climate control reasons), and the picture indicates some scratches here and there, but if the Carfax report comes back clean....

17 years ago, I was debating buying my Toyota van,it had  just under 60,000 miles, it looked great but it was priced too high IMO, I eeed and awwwd, I finally caved and bought it, it now has 150,000 miles I replaced a tied rod end,  two belts, a battery, on my second set of tires, plus regular oil changes, and tune ups, basically regular maintenance. it has been a great buy. A word of caution the cambelt on the newer models cost between 800 and 1000 dollars to replace and they are usually due around 60,000 miles ask if it has been done or expect to have to do it. When they do them they often mark them in the engine compartment with a date and mileage. good luck,  

The only mini vans I've ever had that didn't turn into money pits were 1985-1990 Dodge Caravans. Those were before all of the engine/transmission problems which started in 1991.

My final conclusion is that none of them got better enough gas mileage to compensate for the space and comfort of a full sized van.

you can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda. I would put those 2 at the top of the list. good point about the timing belt, this goes for all vehicles with a timing belt. 1,000 bucks is way to much to get a timing belt done, it's about a three hour or under job. if I could get that price I could pump out three a day. highdesertranger

If that Sienna deal doesn't work out, then I think I'm stuck with higher-mileage minivan options. I assume an engine rebuild will be a real possibility around 200k miles, but who knows.... I take good car of my cars, so assuming the previous owner did too, maybe I can get a few good years out of it at, say, 14-15K miles a year. But I think I'd only try that with an Odyssey....

Toyota or Honda all the way. The engines are designed with tighter tolerance. Meaning instead of variance of 1/100 you get 1/1000 on a Toyota. That design makes the engine last longer. --- some of the other older vans might by foreign made and rebadged as dodge.

The Astro/Safari GM vans are solid. I would trust one of them if it looks like it was taken care of. If you like Japanese Toyota and Honda will run forever ''IF'' they are taken care of. Carfax is great and has saved me from buying a bad car before but is no replacement for a test drive and a mechanical once over.

We have had 2 Olds Sillouettes and now a Pontiac Montana. We have had good luck with motors and transmissions. Run the first two to well over 250,000 miles. The first got wrecked at around 270,000, the second blew a head gasket at around 2750,000 and still runs but we are using it for parts for these Montana that has around 120,000 nowe
These vans have a lot of little things go wrong with them, ie: door handles, shocks, alternators, starters, the occasional window motor; but nothing that ever really breaks the bank. My wife loves them and refuses to get anything else.

Simran said:
We have had 2 Olds Sillouettes and now a Pontiac Montana. We have had good luck with motors and transmissions. Run the first two to well over 250,000 miles. The first got wrecked at around 270,000, the second blew a head gasket at around 2750,000 and still runs but we are using it for parts for these Montana that has around 120,000 nowe
These vans have a lot of little things go wrong with them, ie: door handles, shocks, alternators, starters, the occasional window motor; but nothing that ever really breaks the bank. My wife loves them and refuses to get anything else.

She can have mine!!

I have a 2004 Montana that while its' given me a lot of miles of cheap travel, it's gotten to the point of being a total PITA because there's so many little things wrong with it, mostly electrical. Doors lock or don't unlock at random, gas tank cover won't close completely so the interlock acts up sometimes, windshield wiper park has chosen an upright position instead of parked where it's supposed to, ignition switch interlock is tempermental, etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on.

Also at 160,000 miles it's a total rust bucket.

Oh, and it's got a major design flaw if you park outside in northern snowy weather. It must have been designed by someone in the south... :rolleyes: There's a 6 to 8 inch deep recess under the top of the hood that the windshield wipers are supposed to park in. It collects snow, which turns to ice from the engine warmth and sunshine and then freezes up into a massive ice block. The only way to remove it is with the engine hood open and a pickaxe I swear.

As soon as the GMC Savana is on the road it will be making it's last trip to the scrap yard.

I would disagree that Japanese cars need to be taken better care of to last. My Toyota had 200k miles on it and had been beaten to hell by the previous owner. Plugs were worn almost completely down to the nub, shocks were original, one of the belts had a hole through it, alternator was half failing, no sensors had been replaced or adjusted, many things were patched up with duck tape. I don't know how it was running at all.

60k later it's running very well. Things fail on occasion but so far always in a way that lets me limp to an auto parts store and get it back on the road quickly.

I've had the same experience with a Toyota pickup and Nissan Sentra. They just wouldn't die no matter how badly abused.

My parents had the dreaded 2001 Caravan. They wound up giving the thing away after the 3rd transmission failure.

Almost there said, " She can have mine."

We've had electrical issues as well but that is kinda my forte I guess. As far as the snow; I know what you mean. We live up north and those hide-away wipers are a pain. You gotta keep 'em clean all the time.
South Dakota doesn't use much salt so we've had good luck with the body's on these. None of them even started to show rust until past 220,000 or so. Hey whatever makes the little lady happy.
 Personally, my biggest gripe is the head light system. The headlights don't seem that bright but they always work.