Old truck with like new Leer 43” tall cap with 63” interior height.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks great. Reminds me of the gold-tinted aluminum campers that were popular on pick-ups in Mexico.

Insulation question for Bob et al.

I just read your thoughtful reply #23 in the 2000 Chevy Express project thread.

What do your recommend with my project? I am insulating for heat not cold.

Would just one layer of

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-4-ft-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-BP48025/100052556

In the roof one layer placed like a headliner with air space between the headliner and outer skin is your recommendation?

What about the front side walls?

One layer under the paneling?

MrLoo,

I like your set up; truck & all.
I think, if you can afford it, that 1"white or yellow styro with the foil backing would be ideal. It is a bit expensive but for the long term, and if you can afford it, it would be the ultimate. The reflectix you chose to link too would be good with a thin layer of styro or batt insulation spray glued to the reflectix might be a bit less expensive. That's just my take.

As long as you are only living in this set up in winter in FL. You may be alright with just reflectix. Any summer time stays in your cap will be decidedly warm without a lot of ventilation. Even with ventilation mid day will find the interior pretty warm. I don't think you'd add much weight to the over all vset up if you furred out the interior with 1" strips to allow for sufficient insulation.
It really depends on how you want to use your rig. I know you have stated that winters in FL were your major concern. If that is the case the reflectix should be fine.

Ideally it needs to work in cold weather too. Much like an igloo that would be 55 inside when it’s 35 outside using a little buddy heater on pilot vs. a whale oil lamp.

Adding firing strips would make paneling easier to attach with self taping wood screw.

I've been trying to find a whale oil lamp myself. Come to think of it I haven't seen any whales either . . . hhmmm!!!

Remember that with heat the best you can hope for is to have the same temps inside as outside unless you have an air conditioner. The Reflectix with an air gap should do that. It's better to have styrofoam inside the Reflectix but if cold isn't an issue it probably isn't worth the money and loss of space.
Bob

Nice! Any high-top is good. May I suggest 1-3 speed Fantastic Fan centered, 4- rv metal roof vents $3.29 each at Walmart so you can use a 2" hole saw for the 4-12vdc 2" computer fans to pull air in and 2 to pull air out at 10 air changes a minute. A must when theres condensation, smoking or cooking. The Fantastic Fan is just too much on a mild night plus the computer fans cant be heard outside, .3 amp each and $7 on ebay for four. You deff need a white roof or you will bake in there. I roughed in a 6 gang switch box for future use and glad I did. The residential light/power switches are .59 cents versus $3 each for automotive switches. A 100 watt solar panel should do you. I mounted my solar panel 8" above the Fantastic Fan to hide it. I used the 2" flat aluminum stock from Lowes for the brackets. It also acts as a rain shield too. Walmart has the 12vdc 2-5" led flex lights for $14. No more battery Tap-Lts for me and I only use 1 of them because both are too bright! Just a thought but weight will add up quickly so definately put load bearing shocks on the back. I also had to add a Auto Zone universal leaf spring Kit at $54. I saw your Monroe Load shocks for $75 on Oscaro for $75. Thats cheap! I paid a guy to spray-foam my interior shell walls after I wiered it and glad I ran future wire for the 12vdc sockets in each corner of the shell. Never used them but I've gottem for some day. I ran a red & blk wire from the front battery to the back Solar Marine battery in case I ever had to charge it. Its protected by a 20 amp fuse and uninstalled until I need to back-feed something. Why buy an isolator switch when you can just pull the fuse?

The problem with putting a solar panel on the roof is I have to park in the sun vs. under a southern oak tree,

I can buy an 800 watt generator for $88 to charge a battery.

I have the HD shocks with springs already installed.

Thanks for your help.

Aerodynamic improvement?

I have an extra pair of Harbor Freight adjustable solar panel mounting brackets. First pair was missing hardware so they sent me a free replacement.

What if I took a pair of brackets and mounted them vertically to the ribs in the truck cap, then mounted a color-matched piece of plywood to serve as an air defector.

Bogus hillbilly engineering or not?

Mr. LooRead, that would fine! Most mounting brackets only raise the panels an inch or so so it's doesn't really have much impact on the arerodynamics.
Bob

Thanks for all the great advice! I am trying to figure out how to outfit for this winter. I have an old 94 ram full size single cab 4x4 with the cummins. It had only 130K and I just put a new tranny in it so I can't see selling it really. I was first looking at a regular truck camper but realize I don't really have the payload. I could get a pop up slide in. I could pull a trailer. I have always like work and play toy haulers for flexibility, but I would like to be able to really go off the beaten path too.

I know, I need to make up my mind, but I want to leave the most options open while being comfortable and affordable on my first adventure. I work a seasonal job in the summer in Durango Colorado and could get by financially during the winter. I want to be near the beach.

If I was focused on the coast, than I don't know how much back country I would need to be doing. I would like the option but, I can see having a small trailer with an ac and all that too. Parking the trailer and having my truck easily available to drive around in, maybe get some part time work and all is an option too.

So, a pop up and maybe drop it at a campground if working.... A small toy hauler and put a regular shell on the bed of my truck for storage and what not.... I don't know. Maybe even park the trailer and do some short overnights in real off road conditions when wanted.

Anyway, any thoughts would be great. I would love to meet up with warm coastal travelers this winter too!

Thanks,
Brian

There are many used high top all steel contractor caps at give away prices since the housing bust of 2008.

If you really want to use the 4wd a trailer is no good.

I can only help you find the beach in Florida for I am an east coaster but please start a new thread.

Yea. The guy your taking to is doing it.

Google the "turtle expedition" and work your way through their rigs over the years. They went from topper to pop-up to full on custom.

There are campers in a weight your Dodge will be comfortable with. "Six Pack" comes to mind.

1574c6d3d45f49bdb06ef869e06ff363.jpg

e4982a44a24eaba35e5420f251a7cdf4.jpg

Latest posts