old solar power setup Explorer conversion package

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorelei072

Reaction score
Greetings

Earlier this month I bought a 1992 GMC Vandura 2500 conversion van (Explorer package). It came with a 5 watt solar panel, basic interior readout, 2 tiny old TVs, tape deck/receiver, and a Nintendo game system. The solar panel goes to the van starter battery which the previous owner recently replaced with a 10-year battery.

How do I know what the house power capabilities currently are? I assume there's AC wiring for the entertainment systems but haven't poked in the cabinetry far enough to find any outlets. Do I assume there's a controller and inverter? Where would I find them?

I plan to replace all the old solar power components, but right now I'm faced with the challenge of better managing my budget and cheaper food choices so I can eventually get a couple lithium batteries and start renovating. If there's any house power I could use it would help.

My best guess is you only have the one engine battery. That type of van was made for entertainment of the passengers while on the road so the engine would be running and the alternator supplying the power. They made 12V TV's because I used to have one way back in the '70's. The TV's are probably 12V along with the nintendo so there won't be an inverter or 120V AC outlets anywhere.

I use a 10 watt solar panel to keep my engine battery charged because of the parasitic draws on the battery (radio presets, engine computer, etc). That 5 watt panel is a battery maintainer at best, not a charger.

Do any of the TV's or nintendo work without the engine running? If so, disconnect the engine battery and see if they still do. You may have to put the key in the ACC position for them to come on. With the engine battery disconnected, do they still work? If not, your only battery is the engine battery.