Old Class B's vs really old class Bs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncagingmyspirit

Reaction score
Been looking for a Class B camper van & not having much luck in my area / within approximately 300 miles. I've found a quite a few 1980s Class B's that look/sound nice. However, rust, leaks,  OBD1 engines and the transmission, is a big worry for me.

In anyone's opinion, should I consider buying a cheap 1980s class B and have a mechanic repair anything that's wrong and install a rebuilt transmission whether it needs it or not? Or just keep looking and hope I find a 1996 - 2000 by the end of the year?

I always ask questions & do VIN check for anything I'm seriously interested in.
I'm on a budget so older is my only choice.

I'm also looking at short class C's (Max23ft)

The Dodge and Chevy 3-speed, non-overdrive trannys are pretty robust. Chrysler A727's have been used by mega-horsepower hot rodders for years.

Ok. I'll keep a post-it note near my laptop and keep an eye out for those kinds of engines. Thank you

Those old 3 speed transmissions do not have overdrive and milage will suffer, they are strong though. I had an A727 in my '77 Dodge short van.

My 2000 Roadtrek on a chevy chassis has the 4L80E transmission (overdrive) and has been trouble free for the 156K miles on it. My MPG is around 12 but it is hauling around 9700 pounds using a 454 ci (7.4L for the young 'uns) engine with 4:56 posi rear gears.

Thank you I understand what you're saying. I'm going to wait until I find a 1996-ish.

It's a good idea to stay '96 or older if you'll be looking at Fords.

'97 is when they started going to aluminum heads and started having plug problems.

Cheese and wine get better as they age without our help. Old campers old vans need our help to age. The best way to get a good old camper van class B or otherwise is to see if there’s maintenance records or actually buy it from the owner who knows how it’s been cared for. Sellers can’t lie to you about the maintenance unless it matches what you see when you go over It. Dealers have lots of tricks like steam cleaning engine to make an old rig look nice, buyer beware. By the way I just had some asiago cheese on my omelette it aged fine without my help God bless The Nomads everyone

"should I consider buying a cheap 1980s class B and have a mechanic repair anything that's wrong"

IMO you should consider an older vehicle IF you are the one doing the work. if you are paying others you will go broke.

highdesertranger

Sorry I'm just now replying back again. Thank you for the advice. I really do appreciate it. I definitely want to buy something that's going to last for a while. Hopefully a long while with extra TLC. And I definitely would like to buy it sooner rather than later as a visual goal reminder that the current high anxiety stress job that I'm working is definitely going to end.

I’m waiting and praying for all the locals to get bored with their Class Bs so I can buy a near new one for cheap. I figure there will be a substantial market once the lockdown is over. I want one so bad. I’ve toured and driven so many and they are perfect for me and my dog/s. Sorry OT but I get excited reading about Class Bs.

I totally agree with the 727 Chrysler transmission and it being known for being rugged.  Also the 318 CI V8 that they
produced.  A lot of old Dodge Vans had these and I have a friend who still runs one now.  He's not a nomad but a camper, hunter, and fisherman.   He also works at a CSX Railroad Diesel Locomotive Shop and explains to me about how they pull oil samples from the Diesel Engines at intervals and send the oil off for "Spectro Analysis".  This shows the amounts of metals the engine is made of in the oil so that they can tell what is wearing abnormally.  This technology started after WW2 with the US Navy. 

Today there are companies you can send samples of engine oil off to with a description of the make and model of engine and for a small fee they will analyze it for you to give you an idea of how worn it is.  I guess they will do the same for the transmission too.   You would have to have tubes to pull a couple ounces of oil from the engine or transmission.   To get that you may have to take the Van for a test drive or say you want to have your mechanic to
look it over for you.  But I wouldn't do that unless you were really serious about it.

AMETEK Sectro Scientific