Off grid laundry

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
Looking for your opinions on the best off grid laundry system...

What do you use?

I use a laundromat every 2 weeks. Gives me a chance to read local newspapers, chat with local humans, and get out of camp for a change. Plus which, I don't carry enough water to feel like I can use gallons and gallons for washing clothes. I'll rinse out a couple of things if I'm totally out of this or that and I don't feel like trekking into town, but not serious laundry.

Also, since I mostly live in the desert, the kind of dirt that gets in my clothes is desert dust, which is sticky and really takes a lot of washing to get clean. I use the giant front loading machines. They do a good job at extracting desert dirt.

The Dire Wolfess

John61CT said:
Past threads on the topic https://goo.gl/XZUtzF

I like the 5 gallon bucket idea...however....those buckets can take up a lot of space in a small car.  I'm looking at maybe using a collapsable bucket if I can find one for the job.

Storage when not in use. Soft-sided pack / duffle full of stuff, pull it all out toss in a corner or on a seat, when done shove it back in.

In effect no extra space taken.

Water, white vinegar, Meyer's soap, soaking, rinsing ... a rack to hang it to dry is probably all I'll buy, and the laundromat option is something I'll probably use now and then.

Don't have to use laundromat dryers
To save money just wash there, get some kind of laundry line to air dry outside for free. Rough estimate will save $100 or more a year

In the dry desert it doesn't take long to get dry.

x2 on the clothes line. I like my clothes dried that way over a dryer. highdesertranger

Not exactly a clothesline, but I have one of those extendable clothing rods for vehicles that I use across the back of my class B for drying clothes on hangars. Would also work for draping something across if need be.

Slip the hook on each end into the cabinet on each side, open the back doors and you have line dried clothing. Or windows open but not doors and a little added humidity inside.

It could be hung anywhere across a van that there was something to hook to on each side.

Does that make sense? :) :) :)

I can and do hand wash unmentionables when running low, but prefer to just spring for a laundromat.

I've gone up to three weeks between visits to the laundromat. I've found that I rewear clothes multiple times as long as they pass the sniff test and I at least wash with babywipes daily. And I have 20+ pairs of panties. My 45 gallons of fresh water in my tank will last more well than a month with conservative use. That includes a Navy shower weekly. Doing laundry ain't on my list when boondocking.

Before I dug more undies out of the storage unit, though, I would wash those by hand when I ran short and was too far away from a laundromat. The extra undies take up little space.
Ted

I found a compact front load washer for almost nothing. It needed new springs which was an easy fix and it came with a matching dryer that I sold so I actually made money on the entire deal. The machine is only 24" wide and fits under a kitchen counter. Also the door has a water tight gasket so you can leave your dirty clothes in there and there's no smell.

The major downside is that front load washers need sufficient water pressure for the mixing valves to work. With a top load washer you can pour in a bucket of water, add soap and it will wash your clothes. But front loaders are all electronic and if there's not enough water pressure or the machine isn't balanced properly you will just get an error message.

So what I've been doing is going to dog parks that have water faucets. The one I usually go has lots of parking and it's on the edge of town so I can run my generator without bothering anyone. It's a nice spot and I don't want to lose it so I only go there once or twice a week to do my washing up and have a nice hot bath.

Purchasing clothes designed for commercial travelers that are meant to be able to be quickly washed out in a sink in a hotel is a good start. Your whole wardrobe does not have to be of that type of clothing. But having a couple of changes worth of that type of clothing will get you by when off grid for a longer stay.

There are many types of undies and the quick drying, breathable fabric types do work nicely compared to the standard fare of slow drying cottons that take a lot more water to wash and rinse as well as more time to get dry. Of course this is also true for undershirts as well as outer clothing.

Dressing in layers in winter makes a difference. That allows you to still use the type of clothing that is faster to wash and dry. Many of the newer fabric types are anti-microbial meaning odor won't quite be quite as much of an issue.

But of course for many people all natural clothing is their preference. Silk knit underwear is very comfortable and easy to hand wash and line dry. It is perfect for layering at this time of year and it also makes nice pajamas for night wear. But it is nice looking enough for layering as a shirt under jackets or overshirts. This is a very good time of year to get some deep discounts on base layers of silk knits. The tops come in a variety of styles and colors. Stay on the lookout for them if you are a thrift store shopper, be a label reader!

merino for the win

silk layer for next to the skin if needed

hate synthetics, would rather give up on cold weather camping if it came to that

waverider1987 said:
....those buckets can take up a lot of space.

It's not just the bucket, it's also all the water you'd need. Then there's hanging everything out to dry, broadcasting to the Forest Service rangers you're a homeless squatter rather than a recreational camper.

I make supply runs every week or so and I have enough clothing to last more than a month. It's easy to stop at a laundromat when getting groceries.

I use local water. no need to haul clothes washing water. never had a ranger question my hanging clothes out to dry. any body that's into water sports must hang clothes to dry. in a way prospecting is a water sport. as Jeff William's would say "yeah, you are going to get wet". highdesertranger

Prospectors and raccoons, LOL. Pretty much the same thing....

The Dire Wolfess

Seems to me if a ranger saw that you were the kind of individual who does take time to wash your clothes and hang them out that it would be a very positive indication of your being a person of good reputation and character. Someone who looks after their things and themselves, someone who has some socialization skills ability and is trying to live a decent life the same as other normal people. Of course you might not want it to be too obvious you are dumping out grey water if there is a restriction on doing so.

Maki2, I swear, rangers can be a funny breed. Sometimes they get tired of dealing with "squatters" so anything that looks like someone is trying to "reside" on the land sets them off. The best policy is to keep things as low key as possible, try not to look like the Beverly Hillbillies moved in, but remember you've got your 14 days! As long as you're obeying the local laws and fire restrictions if any, you can hang your dang laundry out if that's what you want to do. Some folks go as far as to put a white board up with "arrived/departing" dates, just to let the rangers know we're aware that we have our 14 days in mind at all times. I just make a point of getting to know my local ranger so they know I'm on the up-and-up. That seems to take care of any potential issues in advance because they know I'm on the level.

The Dire Wolfess

Throwing a towel over the wake tower on your $150,000 wake board boat to dry is okay but tying a string to a tree limb for a clothes line is illegal in most parks. Make sure to use your camper not the trees or bushes for your clothes line in most places to keep out of trouble. If you ask most rangers will be able to direct you to the nearest laundry.