Of a certain age and earning money on the road.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some hosts handle multiple campgrounds, I had three (6 two days a week) with a pickup to drive between them in 2015. If they want you to drive your own vehicle, make sure they pay decent mileage.

I think it will fun working in outdoor jobs, doing manual labor, working my muscles and lungs. Lower pay yes, but different from sitting in a stuffy office playing office politics.
There's an army of part-time, seasonal older workers out there in lots of different jobs.

waldenbound said:
I think it will fun working in outdoor jobs, doing manual labor,

I grew up on a small, hardscrabble farm doing manual labor  outdoors in all kinds of weather.

There's something profoundly wrong with you.

LOL
OP, as much as I gripe about doing manual labor for a living, the one time I had an office job, I hated it
Of course, I'm not working outside, either, (worst job so far manufacturing cardboard boxes in a non air conditioned metal building in Texas) so there's that

Camp hosting is great in the right situations, but only if your physically able to do what is required or needs to be done. As we got older and unable to do certain tasks and dependable workers are hard to find in remote locations I was surprised to find the manager hired or supplied extra help with trash and restrooms because of all of the good things campers had told him about us doing above and beyond the normal job. Still after a while being out doors all day becomes difficult and we took jobs in the visitor center or lodge and when interpretation or guide jobs came around we could do we took them also. There are a few "old folks" jobs around. Dispatch, shuttle, fees and guide jobs that actually pay and are fun to do.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I grew up on a small, hardscrabble farm doing manual labor  outdoors in all kinds of weather.

There's something profoundly wrong with you.

Since I worked in a call center, barring shoveling shit in an outhouse, yes I would like some outdoor work. :p :D

I thought I would give an update on what's going on.  I figure if I don't set a date, I'll never do it.  Therefore, I intend on giving 2 weeks notice at my current job so I can be available by May 1, 2017. :D

I also joined Workamper.com and took the Go Green membership for $39.95 and I have been looking at all the tools my membership has to offer. I like it and I have learned a lot about the Workamper lifestyle. I have also applied for some positions and I am hoping I will hear back from some of them. Being a single and not a couple---well, I don't know if it's doable or not. It seems like quite a few of the positions are for couples with RVs and not vans like mine. However, there ARE solo workampers who tell me to go on and apply for what I'm interested in, even if it's geared for couples.

In any case, we shall see...

VanGrrl57 :)

Frankly, if it was me, I'd have a new job all lined up before I gave my notice to my old job.

Hi John.

Giving notice to my old job is what I plan on doing, but not before I have something lined up. I guess I should have explained that better. :p Sorry! I remember when I was young, I used to do stuff like quitting before I had another job lined up but I learned that it was not smart to do that. ROFL! Also, my current employer is a decent company to work for and I would recommend them to anyone who asks.

I have received an email from Adventureland in Iowa regarding their workamping program and was told to send a picture of myself and my rig which I just did. Gary Pardekooper, the HR Director there, says once he receives that from me, he will call me for a phone interview. In fact, I'm surprised at how quick I heard back from them. Probably the fact that I'm in Sioux Falls, SD has a lot to do with it. :D

Wish me luck. Adventureland Amusement Park sounds interesting and I put in for a Ride Operator job. It reminds me of when I worked at Walt Disney World back in the mid '70s. in fact, working at WDW was my very first job and I worked as a Ride Operator in Fantasyland Operations.

Oh well!

I just received an email from the HR person at Adventureland. He told me that he was sorry but there's a policy in place regarding what can and cannot be parked at their RV park for workampers: the smallest they allow for is a pop-up camper/trailer. Since I live in a van, well, that lets me out. He did tell me if I got a pop-up between now and May, to let him know and he would contact me.

At least I tried...

Maybe there's something else out there for me.

VanGrrl57 :(

VanGrrl57 said:
Oh well!

I just received an email from the HR person at Adventureland. He told me that he was sorry but there's a policy in place regarding what can and cannot be parked at their RV park for workampers: the smallest they allow for is a pop-up camper/trailer. Since I live in a van, well, that lets me out. He did tell me if I got a pop-up between now and May, to let him know and he would contact me.

That's my fear, getting rejected for a job because I"m in a van vs rv/trailer, ect.
Chin up VanGrrl57, there's a job out there for you.

Depending on how much you were interested in the job/want to push it/??? you may want to email the HR person back asking if that's a newer policy because Adventure Van Man (Brian) on YouTube worked there last year and did several videos about his experiences ... (I think they were posted about 5-6 months ago if you want to check them out)

Forgot to write Brian definitely lives in a van and it could not be mistaken for anything else; ... OR he could be the reason for the policy now ...

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Forgot to write Brian definitely lives in a van and it could not be mistaken for anything else; ... OR he could be the reason for the policy now ...

If I remember correctly Brain shared a site with another work camper who had a class C motor home.  

FWIW - I've heard less than positive reviews about work camping at Adventureland.  The common complaint seems to be excessive micromanagement and a general lack of respect for their employees.  They had a fatal accident involving one of their work campers last year and were fined by OSHA as a result.   So, this rejection may be a blessing in disguise.

1960HikerDude said:
If I remember correctly Brain shared a site with another work camper who had a class C motor home.  

FWIW - I've heard less than positive reviews about work camping at Adventureland.  The common complaint seems to be excessive micromanagement and a general lack of respect for their employees.  They had a fatal accident involving one of their work campers last year and were fined by OSHA as a result.   So, this rejection may be a blessing in disguise.

Yeah, that's what Brian told me. I sent him an email about it and he told me that's the reason why he got the job. Oh well! Maybe that's just as well considering what you mentioned about the micromanaging and the death of the work camper. :-/  It is what it is.

VanGrrl57 said:
Yeah, that's what Brian told me. I sent him an email about it and he told me that's the reason why he got the job. Oh well! Maybe that's just as well considering what you mentioned about the micromanaging and the death of the work camper. :-/  It is what it is.

The fact they would reject you for something so trivial as your choice of camping vehicle speaks volumes and only confirms their general attitude towards their help.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't get the Adventureland job.

Instead, I got hired by Delaware North to work at Yellowstone National Park in one of their stores. :D I had options as to start date, but I chose this job as a cashier in one of the stores in West Yellowstone which starts April 17th and ends November 6th. Upon completion of the season, they pay a $3.00 completion bonus for each day of the season you work. Since there are no RV spots where this particular job is, I will be staying at the employee dorm so having a van in this case worked out. I figure this will work for my first experience and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm probably going to leave Sioux Falls in late March and take my time heading up for my work assignment.

Yay. I hope you remember to tell us all how it worked out and I hope that when you do, you have had a good positive experience.