Odd issue with my RV roof fans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarmeCoolidge

Reaction score
I've got 2 of the same basic model of Maxxfan that were there when I bought the van. They move a lot of air, but have some quirks. The one I can't figure out is that sometimes they will start up when I turn them on, run for 3-10 seconds, then shut off. At first I thought it turned off if there was too much resistance from air pressure or something, but they do the same if the doors are opened. I'm not sure what could be the cause. It happens at any speed high or low. My house battery is has been hooked up to shore power so it can't be low battery either. Usually they will finally decide to work properly if i mess with them for a while, but not currently.

If you have any ideas what it may be, let me know. Thanks a bunch :)

If BOTH fans are acting this way it almost has to be something common to both:

Either low (or maybe too high?) battery voltage, a common ground, a common fuse, or something else that is present in your situation.

I've got 2 of the same basic model of Maxxfan that were there when I bought the van. They move a lot of air, but have some quirks. The one I can't figure out is that sometimes they will start up when I turn them on, run for 3-10 seconds, then shut off. At first I thought it turned off if there was too much resistance from air pressure or something, but they do the same if the doors are opened. I'm not sure what could be the cause. It happens at any speed high or low. My house battery is has been hooked up to shore power so it can't be low battery either. Usually they will finally decide to work properly if i mess with them for a while, but not currently.

If you have any ideas what it may be, let me know. Thanks a bunch :)
Check the connectors. As taught years ago by a teacher in a college course for computer A+ certification for computer building and repairs …. Always check the physical connections first as that is very frequently the issue when troubleshooting power issues. Could just be an issue with the wires caused by vibrations over time. Might be a connector is loose. Such as a nut on a terminal block has backed off on the power or the ground. Might be corrosion issue, etc. But that is where to begin a thorough trouble shooting sequence for your intermittent issue that has now become a full time issue. The good news is that if it is the connections it will not be expensive to fix and it is DIY possible. Fortunately each length of wire only has two ends to check. So it will not take all that long … if you know where the ends are.

Last edited:
They aren’t the model that come with a thermal sensor that automatically turns them on and off are they?