Not one of the cool kids...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nana4Twins said:
I'm going to do that right now.  I used eucalyptus oil on cotton balls under the sink, as everyone says that bears are attracted to peppermint.  However, I'm far less worried about bears than I am about mice, so peppermint oil it shall be!!!  

Thanks, Smart.

You have bears under your sink???

So that is the difference between mice and bears!  I still think a cat works best.  :cool:

GotSmart said:
You have bears under your sink???

So that is the difference between mice and bears!  I still think a cat works best.  :cool:

LOL!

One of the things they preach up here, is not having even peppermint toothpaste in your tent, to avoid attracting bears. This peppermint oil is making us smell like a candy cane factory and the smell definitely gets through the windows. Didn't bring the bears over, but didn't repel the damn mice, either. They were in all their usual drawers looking for bait, even though I had dumped, cleaned, and pepperminted (new verb for ya) everything. :(

Nana4Twins said:
LOL!  

One of the things they preach up here, is not having even peppermint toothpaste in your tent, to avoid attracting bears.  This peppermint oil is making us smell like a candy cane factory and the smell definitely gets through the windows.  Didn't bring the bears over, but didn't repel the damn mice, either.  They were in all their usual drawers looking for bait, even though I had dumped, cleaned, and pepperminted (new verb for ya) everything.  :(

They must be small bears.  :dodgy:

Snap traps.  Bait with Peanut butter or if you have any bacon, rub the bait pad with it.  One night I got 7 mice, and cleaned out the whole colony.

Wow... Sorry for your rodent issues. I wish you the best of luck on iradicating them.

Thank you! I set the snap traps last night (I only had two), and put one under the sink and one under the hood. I heard the one under the sink go off at about 12:30am, and investigated. i wish i hadn't. Poor thing had only been caught at the wrist on one front paw, and the rest of it was heaving in terror and pain, and trying trying not to cry. It was a pretty little thing. I wanted to let it go, but the dog would have woken up and caused a commotion, and some people INSISTED on camping right next to me yesterday, and I thought it might be poor form to wake them up in order to free a mouse I'd been trying to eradicate. It's dead this morning. Must have been shock or a heart attack.

Baloo said:
They make a mouse trap that is like a one way door where you can release them.

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-M310/dp/B00004RAMU

Then get some of that foam spray and fill the cavities where they are getting in.

While live trapping sounds like a good plan, the mice tend to tell all their friends where the good stuff is and just like a bear that's been relocated, they'll come back again and again.

Steel wool works better than spray foam - I tried that and they ate right through the foam. If it's around pipes that they're getting in, then steel wool works well. If it's unused holes from previous wiring jobs etc. then take a can lid and silicone it down over the hole. If it 's current wiring that is loosein it's hole then some silicone around the hole will work.

They are getting in by climbing up tires, and leveling jacks, and the holding tank hose, and electrical cord, and god only knows where else. Even I don't know how to access the chase for the ductwork from the outside, so I have no idea where to "fill". For all I know, they're also coming in at night, through gas pedal and brake penetrations in the floor, as well as dashboard ducts. Several mornings now, Bella has leapt off the bed to chase something, and insisted something is in the dash area. I'm just about ready to set this thing on fire. lol

Don't set it a blaze yet, you will figure it out. Mice are a real pain, but once you figure it out, your problems will be over. There is a lot of good advice on here(this post) , heck I have learned a thing or two just reading . Don't give up!

I think the best cure would be a very small tactical nuke ! No more mice ever!
OR .............If you can't borrow a cat just get a bucket of used kitty litter and sprinkle it around the rig.

GotSmart said:
This one contains Fox Urine.   :p

I had typed up a response to this, and then lost my internet connection when trying to post it. Dial-up also won't let me follow links, so I'll have to look at your suggestions when I next visit civilization. But, given a choice, I would rather deter than kill the suckers, so I have been thinking about predator urine.

I heard a snap under the hood last night (caught another one under there the previous night) and investigated. Poor bastard was caught by the balls, and nothing else, and he was trying to chew his way free. I let it go in one of the campground trashcans, and reset the trap. If it lived, it is hopefully at least sterile now. I reset the trap, and there was nothing there this morning, or in the one under the sink.

Nana4Twins said:
I had typed up a response to this, and then lost my internet connection when trying to post it.  Dial-up also won't let me follow links, so I'll have to look at your suggestions when I next visit civilization.  But, given a choice, I would rather deter than kill the suckers, so I have been thinking about predator urine.  

I heard a snap under the hood last night (caught another one under there the previous night) and investigated.  Poor bastard was caught by the balls, and nothing else, and he was trying to chew his way free.  I let it go in one of the campground trashcans, and reset the trap.  If it lived, it is hopefully at least sterile now.  I reset the trap, and there was nothing there this morning, or in the one under the sink.

If he spreads the word, you will NEVER have any mice EVER!  :s

Another option is a bucket of water at every tire with a stick for them to climb up into it and smear peanut butter below the lip on the inside. Put a few inches of water in it so they must swim and when they reach down for the peanut butter they fall in and drown.
Bob

You know, if you don't mind some constructive criticism, you could have started a new thread titled "Mice Problems" or some such, rather than continue it in "Not one of the cool kids...".

That would probably make it easier for others, having the same problem, to find the information they need.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
You know, if you don't mind some constructive criticism, you could have started a new thread titled "Mice Problems" or some such, rather than continue it in "Not one of the cool kids...".

That would probably make it easier for others, having the same problem, to find the information they need.

Regards
John

You are absolutely right, and I've been thinking the same thing myself. I never intended to belabor the point, just mentioned it initially as part of the journey, but it took on a life of its own, and I don't think there's a way to transfer the posts to a new thread, so.... Here we are.

Nana, we may or may not be able to move the current posts but we can start a new thread. I've been meaning to comment about it but haven't had dependable internet so haven't gotten around to it. Other than the uninvited guests it sounds like things are going well for you though. :)

It's possible Bob or one of the other mods can move the posts to a new thread .