Not new to camping, but new here.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckelly78z

Reaction score
My name is Chris, I'm a 53 Y.O. man in NW Ohio. I live on a  10 acre farm where my wife of 30 years and I have many animals. We have 2 grown kids who enjoy camping as much as we do. I currently pull a 2011 32' Heartland North Country TT with our 6.0L diesel Excursion. We made it out 10 different times this year mostly to Ohio State Parks, and like camping in our own, and friend's back yards.

I'm very mechanically minded, and have designed/built many farm projects. Currently, I am completely rehabbing our down stairs bathroom down to the studs, and rebuilding with all new components. I am also building up my auto/metal working shop in my smaller barn (40x60), and have already backhoed a trench for 220V service, and am in the process of putting up a 2 post auto lift.

I love all the "builds" on this site, and may do one myself in the future.

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum! Ohio is one state I hope to explore during my vandwelling years. I haven't been through there in a long time... I was a teenager then.

Welcome Chris to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I think upon retirement in a few years, I may get a smaller class C in the 20'-22' range for travel (possibly alone depending on my wife's health). This would be a Ford chassis (owned 7 Ford trucks so far) unit about 5 years old that I could trust to be mechanically sound, and comfortable/quiet/efficient. I have plans of bringing my Rad Rover electric mountain bike, and a kayak along for the adventure...possibly also my aussie dog "Buddy".

I have researched Van living, living in a foamie, and truck tent camping as well, and have come to the conclusion that I like my sturdy walls, and ability to stand/walk around in my living space.

The motor home I like right now is the Ford, Thor 22' Freedom, or Chateau without the slide.
OR
The truck camper I like is the Lance 850 on my Ford F250 long bed truck.
Any thoughts which would be better for traveling/boondocking ?

I would set either outfit up with 2 135 watt renogy solar panels, and 2 deep cycle batteries.