Not just BLM and NF

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
When we talk about public land open for boondocking, we usually mention BLM, National Forests and occasionally National Grasslands. But I’ve spent the past couple of weeks in eastern Wyoming, eastern Montana and western North Dakota using fishing access/river access sites most of the time. They can be nothing more than sketchy ruts leading to a flat clearing by the water, or they can be just like campgrounds with tables, fire rings and a vault toilet. Most of them are free with stay limits from three to ten days. They’re typically run by the state fish & game agency.

However, the fishing access sites I saw in western Montana a couple of years ago usually required a fishing license (which is expensive for out-of-staters) and also charged a daily fee — probably because they get more use.

Anyway, it’s another resource to consider. Other states might have something similar.

My understanding is some of the Texas State Parks don’t require a fishing license to fish within their boundaries. I have often thought about using a small pontoon/house boat as a camper. Most states have several boat ramps to access waters within their states. Growing up on the Ohio River I got to see lots of old shanty boats. If government lands ever become to restrictive it might be a consideration.

Its not the good old days anymore. There are now all kinds of regulations governing the use of house boats.