Northern California RV living

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klogic

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any information about how living in an RV in Northern California, i'm not asking you for your information about your secret parking spots or anything, but just how you manage it and what kind of things you have to take into consideration.

Look up similar threads on this site. I am not going through this again.

Hmmm, piqued my curiosity. I'll have to find that. Could be anything from overzealous LEO's, too many pot farm druggies, bad windy roads, overpriced summertime rv parks, bad traffic... Any number of things.

Glad you posted the link, I just read the whole 5 pages. I can definitely see that there are problems in the inner areas of the coastal counties, of course there will be, and since I stay on the 101 and only go to occasional beaches or lookouts or NF established camp sites I don't really care. If the OP wants to hike for miles by himself then he may be pushing his luck, all it takes is once. Plenty of area that's not good pit growing country to travel in. Curious if the Mexico to Canada hiking trail, whatever that was called, has problems...

Not that you'll ever find me on it for any length (more than 20 feet) or time... For obvious reasons that have nothing to do with pot. Well, potbelly maybe.

Each one of these sentences has equal validity:

1) Step foot in North Coast counties, CA = You Will DIE!
2) Step foot in Mexico  = You Will DIE!
3) Put a propane bottle in  your van  = You Will DIE!
4) Put a lead acid battery in your van  = You Will DIE!
5) Become a vandweller  = You Will DIE!

You can either live paralyzed by fear or you can embrace life's risks with reasonable caution.

I reject fear-mongering but I embrace reasonable caution. 

RVing in Northern CA is much like RVing anywhere else. Do your research and then go and enjoy it.
Bob

Marie said:
Oh my God!!! I'm dead five times over!!!

Damn!  I thought the software was configured to keep zombies from joining the forum!  You're after our brains, right?!

Regards
John

I knew I should have paid extra for the Zombie filter!!!!

Okay, let's stay on target!

Who has some constructive suggestions for where to go and how to RV in Northern CA?

I've never spent much time there so I can't really help but I would add that the Redwoods are obviously a must-see.
Bob

X2 on the redwoods, slip over the Or border and there better stretches of beach. Northern Ca is quite rocky. Redwood national park comes to mind, crater lake too.

This applies to N. CA only.  I am not familiar with below SF. 

Stay near the main roads when on Highway 1.  Marin County has extremely aggressive LEO due to the extreme cost of the land. Stop and look, but try not to spend the night. The minimum property value there is 6 figures. There are only two Walmart locations in the north coast Eureka and Crescent City.

Between 1 and 101 do not go off paved roads.  Most of the rv parks there are either meth havens, or priced high to keep from being meth havens. Many private landowners have contracts with a paramilitary type private security company, Lear Asset Management. They are extremely well equipped.   

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/lear-asset-management-marijuana-raids-mendocino-california

If you want to try to spend the night at turnouts off of highway 1, do so knowing that you will more than likely be woken up, asked for ID, then told to move on tomorrow.  Off of highway 5 you will be more likely to find a more friendly attitude towards dwellers.   

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zWUSQ5x4Gi9s.kBKwuXReQ0l8&msa=0

Stick to what is already listed.  

I have lived the homework, and cannot give enough warnings.  Stay away from going off road in the N CA coastal counties.  It is one of the most beautiful places in this country, but stick to the parks and let people know where you are going and when you will be back.   

GotSmart said:
This applies to N. CA only.  I am not familiar with below SF. 

Stay near the main roads when on Highway 1.  Marin County has extremely aggressive LEO due to the extreme cost of the land. Stop and look, but try not to spend the night. The minimum property value there is 6 figures. There are only two Walmart locations in the north coast Eureka and Crescent City.

Between 1 and 101 do not go off paved roads.  Most of the rv parks there are either meth havens, or priced high to keep from being meth havens. Many private landowners have contracts with a paramilitary type private security company, Lear Asset Management. They are extremely well equipped.   

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/lear-asset-management-marijuana-raids-mendocino-california

If you want to try to spend the night at turnouts off of highway 1, do so knowing that you will more than likely be woken up, asked for ID, then told to move on tomorrow.  Off of highway 5 you will be more likely to find a more friendly attitude towards dwellers.   

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zWUSQ5x4Gi9s.kBKwuXReQ0l8&msa=0

Stick to what is already listed.  

I have lived the homework, and cannot give enough warnings.  Stay away from going off road in the N CA coastal counties.  It is one of the most beautiful places in this country, but stick to the parks and let people know where you are going and when you will be back.   

I'm looking at the Bay Area in and around SF. SF probably would not be the best place considering that they are trying get rid of People living in Vans and such, I agree Marin might be awesome, but considering that it is kind of upscale they would probably be upset with people camping out there. Not sure, but I know that people are pulling it off somehow, as I have seen many people around SF and other Places pull it off.

GotSmart said:
Look up similar threads on this site.  I am not going through this again.

Thanks for the info, i'm new here, I will see what I can find out :)

There is a Candlestick Park RV site. One member has recommended it. Since I have family in the N Bay, I can stay for free, and avoid the problems. I am sure I could find a number of sites where by talking to the managers I could stay without problem. Think Big box stores and auto parts houses. The bay area is so developed that there are not many places out of sight and out of mind. One possibility are the park and ride lots. Come late, and leave early.

I spent one night in Napa in a landscaped parking lot with several other people who did not notice me there. I slipped in near the street, and covered the windows without getting out. I noticed them when they kept entering and leaving their vehicles.

I was gunna say that I have had VERY good luck & zero hassles in Northern CA. But that depends on what one considers northern.

And, as I understand it things have gotten a *whole *lot *better in the Santa Cruz area (the only place I really had any problems.) And I do get local reports. Perhaps it has gotten better due to the striking down of the L.A. laws?

But note: while I do stay intercity sometimes, it is quite rare.

If it has trees and surface water, and low low traffic: I'm gunna prolly love it.

cheers,
f

Living in Nor Cal my whole life, I can say one can camp in a different location every weekend of their life and not see it all. Boondocking, cheap, free campgrounds are all over the place. The warnings in these threads are a bit heavy handed and lacking definitive experiences. I never stay at weird looking trailer parks along the highway in any state. I wouldn't pull into a private driveway in any state if it looks private and is not signed for recreational access or I was not told to go by locals or Rangers. That's just common sense. My weird camping mishaps have been in other states...(maybe it was my plates)

Some State campgrounds are overpriced along the coast (Samuel P. Taylor in Marin, or Mackerricher in Fort Bragg are in the $40 range) and in close proximity to the SF Bay Area or heading along the I-80 track to the Lake Tahoe area. Pit toilet campgrounds are cheaper, no running water is often free camping. There are county campgrounds and wilderness areas on or near the beach. Navarro, Patrick's Point, Mattole River. Sinkiyone Wilderness in The Lost Coast. And a ton more I have yet to discover.

Once your are 3-5 hours drive from the Bay Area, you can count on less weekend warriors and better seclusion. Plan to drive a little farther and staying awhile and serenity is there for the taking.

Drive North of saturated Lake Tahoe and there is fantastic camping in Sierra, Plumas and Lassen Counties...all the way to Alturus...high desert.
Trinity National Forest Northwest of Redding is Fantastic...tons of camping/boondocking along HWY 299, 36 and 3
The Central Valley even has some camping at lakes owned by US Army Core of Engineers Black Butte and Elk Creek Reservoirs, and the California State Water Project, Lake Oroville has camping, though I prefer East of that area in the Feather River Canyon or toward Quincy around Bucks Lake. I could go on for a lifetime about the North State.
Get a Gazetteer. Now go out and find your favorite new spot.