No Parking in Iowa QQ

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLuckyCrab

Reaction score
Hello! My wife and I hope to be hitting the road very soon in a 2013 Nissan Quest. We're both 31. We have a little bit of savings that'll hold us until something local or seasonal kicks in.

Neither of us has much in the way of relevant experience, but we certainly do feel that restless slosh of disgust as each uneventful day marches towards its inevitable end. So, in the middle of the night, we packed everything into the car and moved from Corpus Christi Texas to Marshalltown Iowa. We've been staying with family and starting to *intentionally*, *purposefully* build that familiar cycle of job > house > death. It suddenly and aggressively occurred to us that there had to be a better way. There's just no way that dumping money into a coffin is the point of all of this. We were sure somebody had gone before and done something better. That's when I remembered good ol' Bob, who I have admired since much earlier days.

So, we bought the Quest (AKA : The Mammoth) and now we're trying to sort out the details of money-making and parking in Iowa. Truth be told, I wasn't planning to join the forums but then I watched one of Bob's videos about HOWA and it really struck me deep. We don't want to just do this - we want to get good at it and help other people escape the nonsense machine. Step one of that is getting to know you fine folks.

I'm very sociable and use Discord (Merlinus #2677) more than forums! Do feel free to PM me anytime. If you're in Iowa, plshalp.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Lucky Crab! Sounds like a plan - keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum lucky crab. I hope you find what you’re looking for. I don’t think we have any crabs yet;). You can be the first. Again welcome.

Welcome to the forum TheLuckyCrab!

You must be lucky, cos here's a link for a camping job in Iowa. Having a home base there with your family will help on days off, but camping jobs usually give you a free campsite plus hourly pay, plus perks.
-crofter

Seasonal Campground Host

https://g.co/kgs/BaCf14

Hi Lucky - welcome to the forum. You and your wife sound like adventuresome souls. I was in Corpus Christi in January 2017 - was actually visiting my mother who lived in Rockport.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

I'd say both of you are lucky to have realized the things you mention and are aware of by early 30's.  Landing in this Forum should be a lucky spot for you now.  You can learn so much here.  I started out in my early 20's right out of school and few people then were doing this.  

Let me invite you to look thru the two sites below.  You may find some helpful info in them. The one at the bottom is a portal of info designed to help make life on the road more safe, comfortable, and convenient.

All the best to you all !