No idea where to put post - RV classes/training?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadvisioness

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I have no idea where to put this post and when I did a search I didn't see anything that was geared to what I was asking.

Is there such a thing as an RV course or class or training? I've never used or driven or been a passenger in an RV and I need to learn, just in case I end up with one. I'm looking for something close to San Diego, CA, but, if I'm able, I will try and get to elsewhere, provided it's not too far of a drive - say, 100 miles maybe. Even if something like this exists, I'm not sure I can pay for it but I'll work that out later.

Any suggestions, advice, information to help in this area would be very greatly appreciated!
JAD

I was able to take some RV courses from a local RV dealer when I was living in Florida so you might want to check out the larger RV dealerships near you. If they don't have any, ask if they know who does.

I took a propane/RV course that taught me a lot about how safe propane really is but also showed me how many handlers at fill stations are idiots... :D

I also took a course on maintenance that saved me hundreds of dollars down the road because I learned not to be taken advantage of by repair shops for RVs just like I know enough not to be taken advantage of by mechanics when it comes to engine/drive train repairs.

What exactly is it that you're looking for - most newbies to RVs don't know  how to handle the drainage/toilet system properly, are afraid of propane, etc. Those are things that we can discuss right here on the board.

Almost There said:
*snip*
What exactly is it that you're looking for - most newbies to RVs don't know  how to handle the drainage/toilet system properly, are afraid of propane, etc. Those are things that we can discuss right here on the board.

Pretty much anything I can learn about an RV. I have a line on one and we'll see how that turns out but what I know about those vehicles probably wouldn't fill a thimble /chuckle. I would love to learn everything that you mentioned and more.

Something I just said to another person on another board was that, maybe the RVs from the 70's and 80's have no real "connection" to the ones made nowadays. Back then - well, even today I hear it but from someone who's a chronic complainer to begin with - I always heard that the electrical system was a nightmare to deal with and they were always wired incorrectly and etc etc etc. Perhaps my "fear" of using them or dealing with them since has simply been manufactured by people who didn't or don't want me getting into one.

At any rate, I've been told that there are tons of videos out there for all sorts of makes and models as well as dealerships being a good place to start for learning about them. But I'd love to know what you learned about your mentioned topics :)

JAD

Maybe check into the escapees club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ Escapees.com cheap to join and find what you want in terms of the RV world.

"RV Education 101" is one I know of. Mark Polk explains everything RV in an easy to understand way.

https://rveducation101.com/

they charge for their online courses, however they have many YouTube videos that are free.

there is a school that trains RV techs I have their book on PDF but I can't recall their actual name.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
there is a school that trains RV techs I have their book on PDF but I can't recall their actual name.

highdesertranger

How about just the name of the book/PDF?
JAD

I have been looking but I can't find it. I posted a link to it a few years back. I will keep looking. highdesertranger

I suggest you watch Youtube videos. They are free and they cover most every topic. Here are some of my favorites in no particular order.

CheapRVLiving (our own Bob Wells)
CreativityRV
You, Me, And the RV
Love Your RV
The Off Grid Schoolie
DIY Solar Power With Will Prowse (everything you want to know about solar in an extremely entertaining format)
Less Junk, More Journey
My RV Works (excellent RV repair by an expert)
Big Truck Big RV (if you want to tow a trailer or 5th wheel)
Traveling Robert
Carolyn's RV Life
The Motorhome Experience
Keep Your Daydream
EnjoyTheJourney.Life
Fate Unbound
Changing Lanes
Pippi Peterson
John Daniel
Paul Barger
HOBOTECH
Pippi Peterson
All About RVs
Love Your RV
RV Geeks
Everlanders (ultimate off road)
RV With Tito DIY
New Jersey Outdoor Adventures (mainly van and Class B tours)
Mortons on the Move
Gone with the Wynns

and the very first one I watched and is still one of my all-time favorites Long Long Honeymoon.

You will quickly develop your own list. When you find one you like, be sure to subscribe and hit the notification bell so you will get an email when they release a new video.

Hahaha Formaldehyde... for some reason I read “Long Long Honeymoon” as “The Long, Long, Trailer”. Now that one has some dos and donts in it!

remember don't believe everything or read and see on the internet. some of those have given bad advice. this is true of the tech classes too. the RV industry's willingness to use solid core wire is a joke and is proof of this. highdesertranger

It might be helpful to narrow the youtube field a bit.

I will say that (in my opinion) Long Long Honeymoon, Big Truck Big RV, RV Geeks, and of course CheapRViving have the most informative content, and the least amount of errors, drama, fluff and BS in their 'explainer' videos.

Cammalu said:
Hahaha Formaldehyde... for some reason I read “Long Long Honeymoon” as “The Long, Long, Trailer”.  Now that one has some dos and donts in it!
"Trailer brake first! Trailer brake first!"

I'm sure that is at least partly why they chose that name.

Check out their channel! Not only do they have great tips, an extremely interesting trailer, and visit some great places, they have an incredible sense of humor.

tx2sturgis said:
It might be helpful to narrow the youtube field a bit.

I will say that (in my opinion) Long Long Honeymoon, Big Truck Big RV, RV Geeks, and of course CheapRViving have the most informative content, and the least amount of errors, drama, fluff and BS in their 'explainer' videos.
I have already weeded out the ones I found to be less than reliable and informative. Of course some of them are better than others as well. Check out some of the others on my list. I don't think you will be very disappointed. And if you disagree with any I did mention, go right ahead and explain why.

Hi jadvisioness,
     Got a copy of general rv repair & maintenance manual. Trailer life's RV repair & maintenance manual by Bob Livingston...covers about everything. Published by trailer life books, found it at rv parts store a few years ago