No BLM out east, but how about TVA?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORANGE

Reaction score
I've only found these sites a few minutes ago.  I couldnt be more excited!
https://tva.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Em...gallery=true&disable_scroll=false&theme=light

https://www.tva.gov/Environment/Env...-Management/Rules-for-Use-of-TVA-Public-Lands

Thar she blows.  Stay 14 days, move a mile stay 14 days.   All with civilization nearby.  And all with a mighty fine climate most of the year.

NOW I can do it, free, low gas and I dont have to go way way out west. I can return home at any time within hours.

So DAYTRIPPING can get longer and longer and longer.  Ive got bed coming, pressure cooker, mini duo etc coming this week.  Car finally finally seems to be running allright.  

With TVA I can go from baby steps to CANNON BALL!!!

Whatcha think folks. Doable?

And just last night I thought to go to the Asheville NC van thingy but realized, Icould never really walk around to look at different vans and whatnot. Just pointless to go. Ill have to do all my learnin' by internet.

Can stay 14 days over a 30 day time frame?

Rules for Use of Undeveloped TVA Public Lands

Length of stay
Stays on undeveloped TVA public lands are limited to a maximum of 14 consecutive days within any 30-day period, unless otherwise posted. After 14 days, users must move at least one river mile before re-establishing a site.
All personal property, including but not limited to vehicles and vessels, on TVA property after the 14-day stay limit are subject to impoundment and/or immediate removal at TVA’s sole discretion. Charges may apply.

Now the really crazy thing is that looking at that map Ive lived on 2 of the cities right nearby. Murray KY and Florence AL, currently Im in the Tri-cities of TN!

Sounds like a good thing.

My brother used to live in Huntsville and had a boat he'd take out on Guntersville Lake. It was my first and last time going through a lock.

Years ago I used to stay overnight at boat ramp public parking areas to access public fishing areas. I can't see anybody running off some old fart that wants to sit in a chair and fish that has a license and a pole. There are several along waterways so you could do several each week and slowly work your way to the next fishing hole. Be aware these used to be places attractive to people with addiction problems and teenage couples wanting to watch the submarine races after dark. These were everywhere along the rivers, I imagine they much better policed if run by the TVA.

I hope you have plenty of A/C in TN and AL, it's been in the 90's for months.

That's why Spring and Fall were invented.

Orange you can stay dispersed over at land between the lakes for a nominal yearly pass.

I’m not too far from you here in western KY

We are not in spring or fall.... it is a hot summer. There's no where to go in the AL and TN area that is not hot now. I know cause I'm there.

Wow Cammalu!

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/seendo/camping/basic/

Basic and Dispersed Camping
You may camp almost anywhere in Land Between the Lakes. A Basic Camping Permit is required for each person 18 and over when camping in Basic Camping Facilities. A Dispersed Camping Permit is required when camping in non-designated areas of the recreation area. Both permits currently cost $30 for annual permit and $7 for a three day permit and can be purchased online or any of our facilities.

I saw NO maximum stay. So 30 bucks live all year vanning?

Yes summer is hot and humid. What about fall winter spring? It is not severe weather. And Fall is right around the corner!!!

What a deal... sounds like to me you can just pull over and camp anywhere up there. We will have to go check it out. Thanks for the info.

How about a fall gathering there? I will go find a good spot to camp.

I lived in Kentucky and Arkansas for several years without air conditioning. Yes it is very uncomfortable for anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months especially at night. The shotgun house design and screens (as bugs are more of an issue for me than heat) create a natural breeze, so fans and good ventilation have always been a good idea. A good stiff night cap helps you get to sleep. Woods are cooler than pavement so avoid it if possible. I would hate to think people have gotten to the point they think they would not enjoy being and living outdoors and happier staying indoors in air conditioning most of their lives.

Ive stayed at tip top of cherohala skyway (~6300ft) in july. Its nothing like being in the western mountains. Its definitely cooler but nowhere near enough. You need like 9k in peak heat.

I have stayed a week or so at TVA boat ramps around the pisgah and nantahala areas. Its fairly busy in those areas being adjacent to the smokies. But theres something special about the whole region from asheville/durham and the AT trail system.

might check out boondockerswelcome.com site. you never know when ya might want to move around and find a few free safe places to stay. just another resource for ya.

Orange and Riverman.

I’m up for a fall gathering. That would be fun! I have a friend that used to camp there a lot on dispersed land. I’ll ask her where she camped. If I recall correctly it was on the water and there was a pit toilet and maybe a spigot for water but I’m not sure.

I’ll text her.

Land between the lakes is a gorgeous area.

Course if you get thru my area (near Beaver Dam, KY) I’ve got a nice little camping spot on my property. I get visitors on occasion coming thru the area

Talked to my friend and she said this:

“I liked Nickell Branch and Taylor Bay. They have pit toilets. You have to get an annual pass about $25 per person. I get pass and water and free dump at the north visitor station.”

Thanks for the info... Looks like the annual pass is $30 now, but what a deal for a year. Bet I could even do some fishing there.

We stayed for two weeks on the Cumberland river in TN and damn if that wasn't the perfect location (this was mid September 2016).

We had our little sailboat and pulled it right up to the shore.   I want to go back.

sail.jpg

Attachments

• sail.jpg
    sail.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 19
I never thought of TVA land. I'm just up the road from Bristol Va about 50 miles.. Thanks you all for this info.
Look like an area I can learn more about boon docking, and get the hang of it. ORANGE, I'm glad you started
this thread, If any of you get up by Atkins,Va give me a shout or PM me. I'll put up a fire and get the coffee
going.

Now I got some researching to do.