Newcomer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodah

Reaction score
Hello.  This is my first time here, and soon I will have my first solo rving experience which may lead to full time.  I've been doing lots of research and gained lots of knowledge (tho probably about 1 percent of what I will need) - so thank you to all you ever-so-helpful rvers.  I came up with what may be a really dumb idea this morning - what do you think?  I can rent a Small Class B for 3 weeks for about $2500.00 to see how I like rving.  That is not a particularly small expense for me.  This morning I found a couple older Craigslist Class B's for sale from $5-8K.  Assuming I do my due diligence as to the condition of the rv, would it be crazy to buy one, go on 3 week trip, and if I hate rving (not likely) or bought a (hopefully not-too-sour lemon) accept a possible $2500 loss when I re-sell?  Thank you for any advice you can offer.  (Btw I am female and not mechanically inclined.)

Welcome to the CRVL forums Doodah! I like your plan! As long as you get any potential purchase checked by a mechanic before you buy I don't see how you can go wrong.
Post the links on here too so some of our very experienced members can point out any obvious problems. Good luck!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

2500 is alot for rental. If you bought one, class b is still a van, if nothing else.

Im not sure what vehicle you currently own, but if you wanted to experience it without the 2500 rental, you can car camp for a weekend.

Btw welcome!

Hi Doodah and welcome to the forums. I would go your second route and resale if the life isn't for you. Have a mechanic check it out, and try not to pay asking price. Best of luck and I hope you get something figured out and have a blast.

Welcome, Doodah! Ditto the above advice! Even if full-time is not for you, having the Class B for weekends or long road trips is still a good investment (in terms of lodging prices saved)!!

Off topic for a sec, your forum name cracks me up, its actually one of my nicknames! When I was young, my father used to call me Wendleydoodahday (in return I called him PapadopolisFromMetropolis) among other things. To this day my sister's husband STILL calls me Doodah!

I love your Beast, whatever you end up calling it. And so excited for you, May is nearly here! Big congrats and happy dwelling to you!

[quote pid='285465' dateline='1493076424']
Post the links on here too so some of our very experienced members can point out any obvious problems.
[/quote]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/6070058611.html[/font][/SIZE][/font][/size]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/6101011658.html[/font][/SIZE][/font][/size]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]I'm still learning this posting stuff, so hope no mistakes (first 2 things I learned, how to send Thanks and how to add pos to reputation).  Such a nice place.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]Thank you all for your support. I've been told my ideas are nuts my whole life - looks like I've been hanging out with the wrong crowd!  Any comments on the above will be much appreciated.[/font][/font]

Welcome aboard Doodah!
I hope you enjoy this lifestyle as much as I do-dah.....

On the camping as a way to get started perspective - cargo vans should be able to be rented on a weekly basis for an affordable price. I did it some years ago at $200 a week. FWIW, I am also of the perspective that you should never camp where you need an inside toilet! Buying and reselling is a great idea and if you spend some time you could even profit. Consider traveling to a location with a good price and driving back! Who knows, you might even want to keep it.

Latest posts