Newcomer senior

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello out there!

It is so good to have found Bob's Forum. I found him You Tube, then went to his web page and emailed him a couple of times and he told me about this community.

A little bit about me first:  I began my experience with camping, a bit of backpacking and finally moved into a 24 ft Class C.  Major rain damage through an ill-fitting sun roof destroyed the roof so I had it rebuilt. When it leaked again I tried rebuilding again but it didn't take long for the pitting to start a few years later. Sold that for a song and bought a new Rpod which I live in full time at my daughter and son in law's home. Was hoping to take it out on the road but found out my Honda CRV would not accept the stabilizer bars to haul. Not being in a position to buy another RV or a towing vehicle I found a way to work with what I had. So I have removed the back seats from my CRV and am just beginning to remodel it into something I can really live in.

I am eager to hit the road and yet I realize there is quite a bit of prep work that must be done first. Being a camper from way back helps a lot but this is different. I will need to bring more of everything if I won't have access to shopping for awhile. The biggest concerns are having enough water for my 2 dogs and I, enough dog food, and keeping free of being too cold or too hot (neither of which I do very well with).  I've been perusing some of the threads and beginning to learn so much from all of your posts. I've read about ways to heat your car but haven't found the perfect answer for me yet. I think of solar, battery and propane power. I need to run a heater through the night on really cold nights but hope to avoid that as much as possible by moving to warmer climates. Same thing on hot summer days and nights when I need a fan running. Any ideas or suggestions? I appreciate all.

Welcome!
Still got the rpod?

What do you mean stabilizer bar?

Plenty of vehicle dwellers. They should be able to help you with heating and cooling.

Welcome! Sounds like you have a truly adventurous soul, you'll fit it well here.

Welcome Earthairfirewater to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Take on a little at a time this is good advice from one senior to another do your homework some here some there,that will get her done.

OutdoorFT said:
Welcome!
Still got the rpod?

What do you mean stabilizer bar?

Plenty of vehicle dwellers. They should be able to help you with heating and cooling.

Yes I still have the Rpod but it will sit at my daughter's home for now until a new vehicle to pull it comes my way.

Perhaps I don't know the right term but they are bars you can attach on either side of the hitch to prevent fishtailing of the trailer when driving.

Thanks for your post OutdoorFT!

those are sway control bars
64cbd1a9-02d8-4c4a-925b-0219d1f7f49e_1.52c908f54a7c7517f1c9accf3b474554.jpeg

Welcome aboard.

Have you considered insulating yourself instead of heating the vehicle?
2 dogs would also add a lot of warmth under some sleeping bags , etc.

I also agree with rvpopeye, nothing better than snuggling with your dog's on cold nights. But make sure you don't let all your water freeze so coffee can be made in the morning. Seriously you will be able to make it all come together and have fun.

Earthairfirewater said:
Hello out there!
<-------->
  I've read about ways to heat your car but haven't found the perfect answer for me yet. I think of solar, battery and propane power. I need to run a heater through the night on really cold nights but hope to avoid that as much as possible by moving to warmer climates. Same thing on hot summer days and nights when I need a fan running. Any ideas or suggestions? I appreciate all.

Hello back at ya, and welcome aboard. :) 
I suspect there are more of us seniors here on the forum than one might first expect.
There is also a lot of knowledge here for just about any aspect of cheap RV living you might need to know about.
Your already being a seasoned camper puts you ahead of the game.

JannaB said:
I also agree with rvpopeye, nothing better than snuggling with your dog's on cold nights. But make sure you don't let all your water freeze so coffee can be made in the morning. Seriously you will be able to make it all come together and have fun.

Hey Janna, are you the Janna from Ehrenberg with the little 'Tater' dog? If so, I really enjoyed meeting you and Todd loved his morning visits too.  Hope life is treating you fine.

Yes, that is what I need. Thanks for the info and photo and thanks to all who responded to my post above. Maybe I can ask around a bit more about the sway bars and just double check the possibility of installing them. That would be the end of my dilemma.

I went to the RTR last year in my Honda CRV and a 10x10 cabin tent. It worked out fairly well.

Goodness and blessings to all my fellow travelers.

Latest posts