Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi folks!<br><br>Looks like Bob is one of the last improvisers still around. I'm a bit of a scrounge myself and&nbsp; pretty much make my own stuff too. Usually because the things I want to where I buy it have been marked up 200% over it's MFG price. I make wooden boats mostly, and my next is going to be a 18 ft Dory for east coast bottom fish jigging. One-off stuff I made is a backhoe and a small dump trailer which works off a hand pump, and a front dozer blade for my tractor which works off my rear 3PH..<br><br>So great being here. I'm starting on my slide in camper for my 2006 Ranger 2X4 to free up the hitch to pull the boat.<br><br>See ya on the forum.<br><br>Andy<br><br>

A tinkerer! Hiya Andy!<div><br></div>

<P><FONT size=3>Hi Andy!&nbsp; Glad you're here!&nbsp; I'm looking forward to seeing your build and following your progress!</FONT></P>

Andy, welcome!
I once made a front loader for a 15 hp bolens diesel tractor. I hear you on the mark up on stuff. Did you use the cad plans or design your own backhoe? I think everyone here on the forum has some innovative ideas and thoughts... And is willing to share them.

Hi Les<br><br>That bucket sounds like a big project.<br><br>No, layed out a plywood side pattern on what I wanted the booms to do. And took the cylinder specs from that. Found me a good deal on valves and hoses. I then got myself a 3500lb axle for 40 bucks, had some diamond plate, and 3 tons of 3inch box steel my son layed on me, and a bit of 5/16 plate. I already had the buzz box and Makita grinder(went through 2 of them) and a few hole cutters, drill press and started right in. Cost me about 18, 7in X 1/16 grinding wheels. Biggest mistake was to use 2.5 inch X 24inch stroke Chinese cylinder for the boom stick. Surprised but fascinated in watching my 1 1/8in cylinder rod bend like a pretzel. <br>The digger works great.<br><br>Took me approx 6 months with this setup. Check out SpenceQ at the old Machine Builders site.<br><br>AndyF<br><br>

Andy,
I looked into making a small 3 ph backhoe for the bolens too, but time and $ didnt agree. I sold the bolens and found a Kubota b8200 (19 hp) with a factory bucket and removable subframe backhoe for $4850 with 800 hrs. I still have it. When I lived in upstate Ny, I had a 7'plow blade from an old pickup that I modified to fit. Found it for $100 at a yardsale. Kubota plows are $1500! Machine builders is a great forum, lots of ingenuity and backyard hacking.... Er , engineering!
Welcome again,
Les