Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamm

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is Tam and I'm currently searching for a cargo van so I can begin converting it into living space. I'm in N.C. and I would like to be outa here next Jan, heading west.

A little background about me......I'm 57, single, and into sheading the apt, and being mobile. When I was in my 20's I lived on a sailboat which taught me a lot. I have had houseboats as well as power boats. I worked in a marina in Fl,where I cleaned and repaired fiberglass, restored woodwork. As i became older my body decided it was tired of all the hard work and quit on me, leaving me to depend on disability.

I'm nervous about this whole process, but looking forward to learning and exploring with my cat. (he dont know yet).

Welcome aboard Tam!
You've come to a good place .
Ive always wanted to live on a houseboat , instead , I live in a land yacht .....

Welcome to the CRVL forums Tam! Your experiences of living living and working on boats will transfer over to living in and working on a van very well so don't be too nervous. Better tell your cat about it though :-D

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Don't tell the cat, they're sneaky and may sabotage the plan :)

tamm said:
Hello Everyone,

My name is Tam and I'm currently searching for a cargo van so I can begin converting it into living space. I'm in N.C. and I would like to be outa here next Jan, heading west.

A little background about me......I'm 57, single, and into sheading the apt, and being mobile. When I was in my 20's I lived on a sailboat which taught me a lot. I have had houseboats as well as power boats. I worked in a marina in Fl,where I cleaned and repaired fiberglass, restored woodwork. As i became older my body decided it was tired of all the hard work and quit on me, leaving me to depend on disability.

I'm nervous about this whole process, but looking forward to learning and exploring with my cat. (he dont know yet).

Hi Tam,
I am new also. Welcome. I just bought my van and have started converting it. Check local universities and their plant departments (or utilities or whatever they call the maintenance area). I got a steal $$ with super low mileage when they updated their fleet. Just a thought.

Artmom said:
your new home 
Hi Tam,
I am new also. Welcome. I just bought my van and have started converting it. Check local universities and their plant departments (or utilities or whatever they call the maintenance area). I got a steal $$ with super low mileage when they updated their fleet. Just a thought.

Hi Artmom,

Thanks for the info, i will look at the universities in this area. Please tell more about your new home... :)

rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard Tam!
You've come to a good place .
Ive always wanted to live on a houseboat , instead , I live in a land yacht .....

land yachting down the road... :heart:  I know I'm in a good place as i have been watching the youtube vids and I can tell there is a wealth of knowledge here.

First, purchasing the cargo van.....im sure that will be an experience.
Thanks for your comment

Rugster said:
Don't tell the cat, they're sneaky and may sabotage the plan :)

His shedding is the only sabotage...i vacume everyday. guess i will be doing the same in a much smaller space.
thanks for your response :cool:

Welcome to the CRVL forum !   :) 

Let this forum be your binnacle and you'll always have steady directions not to mention
good mates to advise ya on sailin yur land yacht !  Aye, you're in safe harbor here so dontcha
be nervous at all.

Save the fur you get and recycle it for stuffing in a kitty bed !
Recycling is the proper way to dispose of things ................. :rolleyes: ;)

rvpopeye said:
Save the fur you get and recycle it for stuffing in a kitty bed !
Recycling is the proper way to dispose of things ................. :rolleyes:  ;)

:-/ with the amount of fur he sheads, i will be able to outfit the van with them...

That would save you the cost of insulation ! ;)

rvpopeye said:
That would save you the cost of insulation !  ;)

do u know of anyone traveling with a cat???? just wondering how they adjust.  i dont think the fur and the glue would be a workable thing for me. I would  end up glued to the side of the van! :D :huh:

I have met a LOT of people that travel with their cat(s) , do you think the little fuzzball would object too much to being on a leash ?

That's how most all of them do it.
Usually takes a little getting used to it but I've seen some pretty happy kitties on the end of one....

Another good idea is to get a kitty crate to travel in, that's an easy sell just put some catnip inside with a pad/blanket and it will be their favorite place in the WORLD!

tamm said:
Hello, and thank you for your response. I watched the video on how to choose a home state, and it was an eye opener. I began researching Arz and NV, DMV charges for transfering. Arz seens to be the cheapest.

Also, I would like to ask your thoughts on land ownership in both states. I was thinking of purchasing 1-2 acres to have a base to move to for seasonal weather. I have medical condition that Arz climate would help, but cant take the cold to much.

This is a really good question, but I'm afraid it won't get seen buried under this other thread. Would it be alright if I split it off to a thread of it's own?
Bob

akrvbob said:
This is a really good question, but I'm afraid it won't get seen buried under this other thread. Would it be alright if I split it off to a thread of it's own?
Bob

yes feel free Bob, and thank you for all you do.....you are guiding me to make the correct decisions in this transition.  :)