Newbie with a dream..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weesparky

Reaction score
Howdy all, thanks for the venue in which to learn and share about living in a vehicle.

About me, I'm a 48 year old male currently living in central Ohio with a mortgage, rising utility costs, and a 40 hour a week day job. My dream is to move into my van within the next 6-8 months. I'm currently focusing on buying most of the materials for my planned build (if I ever finalize my floorplan) and starting "construction" in the spring.

I purchased a super cheap high mileage Sprinter five years ago with the intention of fixing up the rust spots and moving in. The van has a little more rust damage than I have experience with Bondo and will require replacement of metal panel bits in several places. Let alone the overhaul/replacement  of the drive train that would require a significant second investment. That van has sat quietly rusting in my driveway, an ugly hurdle that has actually prevented me from getting started in a life of freedom.

I just recently traded my compact daily driver for a Dodge Promaster and a fresh set of van payments. I have already tested the no build style by throwing a mattress, cooler, and camp stove into the back and driving 1500 miles to camp in front of my brothers house for a week. The temps only dipped into the 30s F, but it was enough to convince me that insulation was on my need to do list. I'm currently researching solar and toilet options and occasionally buying items online for that I know I will use.

I still need to get rid of a house/garage full of stuff and then sell the house but the new van requires absolutely no mechanical work and I could live in it today if I wanted to. I would like to take this winter to sell my various collections and invest that into the materials for the van build. I am very excited that I can actually take the first steps in on this journey.

I'm also very happy that I found this community, I'm probably going to discover a few questions that will need practical answers!

Sounds like a good plan if you can sell everything, and get on the road. I am in NW Ohio, and don't want to stay around here all Winter, but also work 40 hrs a week, with responsibilities.

Good luck.

Welcome Weesparky to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forums  :) 

My signature lines below (in green) may be helpful to you.   And I'd offer you to read my profile as it may provide some thoughts for using a Van in some creative ways on a job.

Latest posts