Newbie to group and soon to van camping/travel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momatduke

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for the add.

We're about to begin the van build process.  I've already binged Bob's YouTube videos - very instructive and fun.  Came here today to understand energy options like lithium ion, propane, various power packs/inverters, solar, and specifically Renogy vs Goal Zero.  It can all be very confusing, so I'm happy to have found this community.  

We will not be full-time but instead take long trips and make our van available to adult children (music festivals mainly) and their families (as a camping alternative or as an option for cooking/and providing power/lights combined with camping.)  So, the van will be a community resource and thus needs to be very easy to understand/operate.  

My retirement date (at 57 with husband at 66) is 8/2020. We're shooting for that as a completion date.  Right now we're looking at a Transit 350 xlt 15 passenger, high roof - so we can still put 4 grandkids in seat belts. I saw that Bob had a low roof and was able to add a high roof to that.  This may be an option for us as well, since he had this done in NC and we already own a Transit Connect Titanium with low miles.  We may start with that. 

Goals are to have room for a bed, some storage, water, plenty of energy and redundant energy, a way to circulate air, and a composting toilet and heated shower which we'll use outside, etc.  I will also cook outside, mostly, and already have three options: mini wood stove, sterno stove, proper Coleman propane stove.  When the time comes, we'll purchase a Dometic refrigerator or cooler.  We will also carry one kayak and a SUP along with gear.  We may end up traveling with at least one dog but will figure that out when the time comes.

I'm always happy to hear from folks on anything I've listed here, or anything else.  Thanks again for the add and thanks to Bob for everything he's done and will do to help folks understand how they can free themselves from one kind of lifestyle by committing to and investing in minimalist living and maximum adventure.  

Yes - Mom (still works) at Duke.   :)

Welcome Mom to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Retirement at 57, woohoo! Welcome to the forums and yes, Bob is the Insperator (I just made that word up).

Duke? Is this a fellow Carolinian joining? I'm in the process of securing a rig and plan also to hit the road next year (unless events push me out the door sooner!)

Look forward to hearing about your build out.