New

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbharden

Reaction score
Hello folks. I’m a 71 year old retired teacher. I’m married with 3 grown children. As a family, we camped when our kids we younger. We sold our camper when they were grown. I LOVE to camp but my husband never really enjoyed it. Just this week, after 43 years of marriage, he says he’s not happy anymore. So I guess I need to prepare for a new life. I seriously considering purchasing a small TT. I have a 2019 Ford Explorer, so I have a reliable means of pulling a small camper for a few years. I have some money saved so I can purchase this cash and not have those payments. My problem is, I’ve never towed a camper and am scared to death to try. At 71, I’m afraid of the problems that could arise. My husband has me convinced I can’t do this alone. But I think I’m going to try. I just wish I knew of some other women my age that are doing this so I’d have a small support group to help me as I get started. Also, I’m afraid of my shadow. With a camper, I doubt I’d be boondocking much, but wouldn’t mind trying a few days at the time. If there’s anyone out there that would like a travel buddy, let me know. I’m from Georgia and will probably be leaving Oct/Nov. I do have a small dog that will be traveling with me (a corgi). Thanks!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

gbharden said:
 At 71, I’m afraid of the problems that could arise. My husband has me convinced I can’t do this alone. But I think I’m going to try. I just wish I knew of some other women my age that are doing this so I’d have a small support group to help me as I get started. 

Well, he's flat-out wrong. Sounds like a case of mansplaining me to me. Why on earth do you think he would actually know a damn thing about it?

I'm 74, and happier than I've ever been.

Lots of older women doing this. Just keep participating in the forums, and you will make connections. Also, if you do FaceBook, join the groups RoadTripHer and WeCampTogether.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something...you can if you want to, and if you can convince yourself of that.
Anything new is likely to be a bit scary to begin with. I'm a 72-year old guy, but I'll admit to being a tad nervous at the start of my 26-day road trip this spring. Staying in Walmart, Cracker Barrel and Cabela's parking lots wasn't something I had ever done. Turned out it was a whole lot of fun.
You got this!

Welcome aboard, gbharden :

Check out the blog "RV Sue and Canine Crew" (rvsueandcrew.net) which is by a retired teacher getting a camper trailer and following her dreams, with her dogs. Sue learned a lot as she went along and her followers added great tips and ideas in the Comments section. She sold her Georgia home and set out for adventures.

Along the way you will probably run into many of us solo women nomads. Also, look at the Gatherings section of this forum for a camping event in November in one of the North Florida National Forests.

I won't be full time for another 19 months (but who is counting, LOL), but I am near your age and am a solo Floridian nomad on weekends and road trip vacations and am really looking forward to retirement. You are going to have so much fun...and planning and dreaming is exciting, too.

Please attend one of the virtual campfires also known as Virtual Caravan Connections sponsored by Homes on wheels Alliance. https://www.meetup.com/caravans/
You must join meetup first - https://www.meetup.com/home/
and make a Zoom account- https://zoom.us/
All of that may sound complected but it's really pretty easy. You'll meet nomads on the road, nomads to be, and people considering becoming nomads.

I'll be traveling through Georgia mid to late October. Stay in touch! I'm on the run, right now but if you send me a PM I'll send more details about me and my plan

Hello folks. I’m a 71 year old retired teacher. I’m married with 3 grown children. As a family, we camped when our kids we younger. We sold our camper when they were grown. I LOVE to camp but my husband never really enjoyed it. Just this week, after 43 years of marriage, he says he’s not happy anymore. So I guess I need to prepare for a new life. I seriously considering purchasing a small TT. I have a 2019 Ford Explorer, so I have a reliable means of pulling a small camper for a few years. I have some money saved so I can purchase this cash and not have those payments. My problem is, I’ve never towed a camper and am scared to death to try. At 71, I’m afraid of the problems that could arise. My husband has me convinced I can’t do this alone. But I think I’m going to try. I just wish I knew of some other women my age that are doing this so I’d have a small support group to help me as I get started. Also, I’m afraid of my shadow. With a camper, I doubt I’d be boondocking much, but wouldn’t mind trying a few days at the time. If there’s anyone out there that would like a travel buddy, let me know. I’m from Georgia and will probably be leaving Oct/Nov. I do have a small dog that will be traveling with me (a corgi). Thanks!
Think about a Promaster (or like) van; you can get the high top and stand in it. No pulling a camper. Park where any car can park. I have one and love it. Made it into a camper; bought it as a cargo van.