New Yorkers in the desert

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gimpy and Limpy

Reaction score
First time to Arizona for the winter. Living in our 2012 Ford E350.
high top van. Does anyone have info on how to keep doors open without draining the battery.

Gimpy and Limpy said:
First time to Arizona for the winter. Living in our 2012 Ford E350.
high top van. Does anyone have info on how to keep doors open without draining the battery.
Obvious answer (without knowing anything about Fords) is, remove the bulbs.  Can't be too hard - they burn out all the time, and thus should be easily replaceable.
Another (harder) is, find the on/off switch in the door jamb, remove it, and disconnect it.  Or, tape it in the 'closed' position with electrical tape.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I don't know how it is with Fords, but Chevy/GMC vans have a small dial on the dash with a setting that keeps the dome light off when the doors are open.

Back in the olden days, when I was a teen, there were little metal tabs you screwed to the door or door opening that you could swing over the button to hold it in the off position. I doubt they're still available, but it would be simple to make something like it.