New White Rice for Diabetics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eDJ_

Reaction score
I was just watching AgDay (agriculture report on TV) and they covered a story detailing a new hybrid of white rice that is with a much lower glycemic index/load and 53% higher in protein value. It is just beginning to be marketed as "Parish Rice" and grown in Louisiana USA. . It is NOT a GMO. It's expected that this product will begin to be planted & grown more extensively so anyone will be able to enjoy it.

Parish Rice Website

That’s cool. But I’m confused. Isn’t white rice just brown rice without the bran and and germ? So this lower glycemic index higher protein rice could also be available as brown rice? I hope?

This is so cool. I've been using parboiled rice for my Chinese pork fried rice. I hope this is real. I'm going to check this out, thanks.

OK, it's just a little better than parboiled. 160 / 180 for calories. 4 grams of proteins for parboiled and 6 grams for Parish Rice. And it's better on the glycemic index too. This is a game changer. Thank you for listing it.

I was just at Aldi and came across a couple of rice substitutes. 90 Second ready to eat packages of organic Farro (14g protein) and another of Barley and Lentils (22g protein) @1.69 ea. Neither seem to have a ton of carbs/salt, but thats subject to personal dietary needs.

Ravella, you are right about white rice starting life as brown rice. The bran & germ are milled from the brown rice to achieve the "white" rice. Refining and processing of agricultural products has since the 1950's become big business as it nets big profits. Presently the Parish "white" rice is what is being offered thru the website. (and promoted) They may in time offer this in the "brown" variety if it can offer the same nutritional quality as the "white".

In the refinement process there is a loss of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. But those components which are removed are not necessarily thrown away. They may be a profitable product for use in animal feed or whatever else it can be used for. White rice. owing to it's quicker cooking time, 15 to 25 minutes, may have gained it's popularity in the past. Brown rice may require 45 minutes to one hour of cooking time.

As a kid I thought all rice was white. Brown rice didn't begin to show up in the "super markets" until the late 60's.