New to this nomad land and forum

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YesClearly

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to let my adventurous spirit loose to freedom on the road.  It's all new to me.  I haven't camped in decades.  Not sure I'll even like it, but I am totally captivated by all of the cheapRVliving and other nomad-type videos on YouTube.  I have a true passion for being in nature and radical freedom is an enticing call.

As a single, retired woman, I've been encouraged by videos of other enterprising women who are exploring new ways to live on wheels.  My hope is to travel part-time in car / van / camper / RV / whateverElse and see how that feels. 

My current thinking is to go to WRTR, and then at least part of regular RTR, so I can learn as much as possible and also meet kindred spirits.  Since I don't have a rig, I'll probably be camping out of my 2013 CRV.  And that is a daunting concept.  Obviously I need to get stuff to make that possible and comfortable.  Hoping to work out some of those details in these forums.  

But first, I guess I need to figure out how to read these Forums and POST  :)  So many learning opportunities.    :p  

Cheers!

Hello, YesClearly... and welcome to the forum. I decided not to go to WRTR/RTR this year as I don't have my van yet. One step at a time. I hope you can make it over there.

Thanks @travelaround. (It took a minute to figure out how to reply)

I figured the WRTR / RTR would be the prime place to learn as much as possible so I'll have an idea about what to buy in the way of wheels. And ... a general sense if this feels like a good path to follow.

Welcome, Yes! A CRV is a great camping vehicle. You'll have a great time, and everyone here will help you get the right gear to make your adventure a wonderful experience.

The Dire Wolfess

Welcome to the CRVL forums YesClearly! You have a good plan! Go to the WRTR and RTR, meet people, and get an idea of what you want and need for traveling. Hope to see you there!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello, YesClearly. Like you I'm new to this. I pretty much lived in my SUV for two years (until my son built me my little teeny travel home). I put the back seat down and put a single foam mattress on one side. I kept my clothes, tent and other necessities in storage boxes on the other side of my SUV. The hardest thing was temperature control when it was super hot or super cold. Keeping food safe when it was hot was a problem. You learn as you go.

HI
if you camped way back when and loved it, then you will love it again :) just take care of some of your comfort you need and gear at that to make yourself happy :) you will be fine!
Just try it all out and see if it works for you. Camping tho and true on the road nomadic living is kinda 2 different things. Permanent vs. not permanent, you will find what works for you tho. Arrange your life as you want.
best of luck to you!

I'd like to post an individual response to each posting but it's not intuitive how to do that.  So, for now:

----------------------

@Moxadox  I hope you are right about the CRV being a good camping vehicle.  

BTW, "Dire Wolfess", just guessing here, but we may have similar musical tastes.  :)

----------------------

@rvwandering  Thank you for your welcome and pointers.  ??

----------------------

@coyotewoman   Looks like we are both new to the Forum.  And yes, "learn as you go"   A bit scary but exciting.

---------------------

@RoamerRV428  Yes, camping and true nomadic living are way different.  I'm kind of easing into this, as I figure out next steps.  Right now, I'm thinking I'd like to maintain a modest home base and travel about half the time.  We'll see how this works out.  Thanks for your encouragement.