New tires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
Some time ago I noticed the spare and what great condition it was in. It is doubtful it has ever been used... the little tailings are not wore down in the slightest.
NO cracking anywhere to be seen with the eye.. looks great!

Ya...so I thought until I checked the date... van is a 91.. and so is the spare..:(( Glad I checked before I got out. I want to be fluid in changing the tires on this beast before the show starts.

I figured the other tires would have been fine.. they look great, plenty of tread. .. but they are dated 1707..so.. 13 years old... :(...lol.

Seem to be a good tires outside of the age... Federal MS351  LT225/ 75r16.

Obviously they all have to be replaced..  and am curious if there are any things I need to be aware of. I  of course will listen to what the salesperson speaks about but would like to be "armed" with some knowledge. A basic car tire is all I have ever bought. I think the mud and snow is probably the best for heading out into the wilds.

Will these be fine for highway use on an extended van even when it is not snowy and muddy?

Is there a particularly crappy tire that I should absolutely avoid?

I posted under safety instead of mechanical because in my case having tires that range from 13- 29 years in age could be a very serious safety issue.

I hope that folks are checking the age and not just the look of the tires. I hope the rims are fine..:((

I would have reduced my offer for this van had I checked.

When I lived in the snowy west I usually ran Cooper tires.I'm now running Wranglers on the van because of the price($70 carry out at Walmart.I mount and balance my own so save a few bucks that way.The Toyota we bought last summer has Michelin.I picked up a nail a few weeks ago and had a hell of a time getting a plug in the hole.I thought I was going to have to use a drill to widen the hole.They must have some hellacious steel belts.

+1 on the Coopers. I don't have them on my van but the vans used at my last driving job did and they were good all-around.

Not the cheapest though.

Check TireRack. Lots of info on tires.

Sofisintown said:
When I got my van it had 44K miles on it, and the original tires. They were leaky. I changed them with the same ones (Firestone Destination) last year, but I didn't think of the spare.
It is still the original, and I used it once after a flat.
The tire was fine and full of air, but the wheel had rust. So before I put the spare back under the van, I cleaned it with a wire wheel (or whatever the thingy is called) I primed it with rust restore, and painted it silver.

Since the spare is only used rarely and for a short distance to the tire shop, and since the tire shows no signs of dry rot, cracks or leaks, I keep it for now.

So my advice is, don't do as I did, because the forum will say it is not safe.:s
Cheers!
Well..considering you are like the lady version of Mcguyver I'd wager you will be just fine.

I'm a little bummed I didn't check this out prior.. basically a 1000 expense I didn't consider. So much for getting a C- head anytime soon...

Thats great you have already got to change over to the spare. That is such a good thing to be confident in. I think I have only had to use a spare 2x ever in my life so I better sort it out while im in the driveway.

Sofisintown said:
WHEN DO I NEED TO REPLACE MY SPARE TIRE?
Short answer
Thank you soo much for taking the time to provide such thorough information.  It really helps to know how to gauge the usefulness of an "old" tire.

These that I have are in very nice condition. No discoloration, no cracking or drying no bulging spots. Great tread. The van had been garaged and driven rarely.

The main 4 at 13 years will probably be fine about town. The spare at 29 years probably has some issues.. that I don't want to discover in the middle of nowhere.

Should I get the m+s versions like those currently on the van.. or should I just get a regular all terrain? I was reading a bit about that and it sounds like those are meant more as "snow" tires for exclusive winter use?

If you have a heavy van, such as cargo van, you will need load rated tires to handle the weight. You can get load rated mud & snows if you look for them, may not last on hot summer roads tho.
-crofter

I suggest a search on Tire Rack dot com. You know your price point. You know your axial weight. TR has plenty of reviews on most tire brands and models.

"is there a particularly crappy tire that I should absolutely avoid"

cheap Chinese tires.

highdesertranger

Just changed my tires I got 123000 out of the last set and still had 1/8 in above the weare bar. 2011 Chevy express 2500.

^
What kind did you get 123k out of ?

Also...how many times did you rotate them?

They were Michelin I don't remember  the name but changed the tread paternity and now they are called alli climate.  I  rotated  about e Ray 10000. They are 10 ply.

I bought my kurbmaster in 2008 it had fairly good tires on it or at least they looked good, it had been sitting for almost six years not sure how old the tires are, minimally 2000, I went on a major road trip in 2010, again in 2013 over 600 miles of gravel road the trans Labrador highway, We drove by and assisted three others with new vehicles with flat tires on this road. Those tires are still on. In 2014 I bought a 1993 Dodge caravan that had been sitting for several years with old expired tires with plenty of thread on them, drove it around Vancouver island up to Alaska over the top of the world highway up the Dempster highway and back to the east. I changed one worn front tire in Whitehorse, last year I changed all four tires as they were worn out, i noticed one had a bit of thread showing but the others were pretty good looking still. I rarely exceed 55mph in the kurbmaster and drive to the speed limits with the dodge. Just some of my experiences with old tires.... not recommending anyone do this just sharing what has been done.

It sounds as tho sometimes the date is kind of a "best by" date as opposed to an "expired" date.

As an absolute non gambler in anyway, I will definitely be changing them in the next week or so once I find a good set. I am glad none of you have had a serious issue...

With the rise of platforms like youtube and other video sites.. I really don't want to be rolled over due to a blow out while some one films and then posts on line.. "OooooH dude.. you messed up bro. Look at your leg man.. its all broke up.. dang..Oh man.. where you other eye at bro??"
 I hope those or similar words are never heard by my ears.

Not overly eager about spending another grand..but the alternative is worse.

My advice on tires, buy from a national chain so that if there is a flat or warranty issue you can get it replaced in most any decent sized town.

If heading out to boondock in the West, it would be best not to get regular passenger tires. Go for the All Terrain types. They will have more aggressive tread design to handle dirt better. Stronger sidewalls usually as well. We have lots of loose dirt and sharp rocks.

As others have also said go with the highest load rating that you can find. Speed rating does not matter unless you like to drive 100 miles per hour. Not all tires are available in all sizes. For my Dodge Dakota for example I can only find one company that carries my size in a heavy load rating. When I have an extra $1400 I will buy 5. The tires I have are older and are heavy load rated but the size is not what is called for, ( very close, but a bit larger).

desert_sailing said:
Les Schwab and Walmart are the only chains I know of....
Good Year, Fire Stone, Costco, Discount Tire

used to be Sears was a good place with Tire departments in lots of locations but not any more.

Les Schwab is only in the Western States which is fine if you are staying on the left coast but not so good if you roam all around the country.  So you do need to pay attention if you are going to roam all the way across the country to be sure Nationwide means Nationwide.  It is not essential that your tires be from that type of company but it helps if something goes wrong during the warranty period.

Thanks for the chain alternates to Les Schwab and Walmart.  LOL

Im just a small town boy and we don't have many options for at least 150ish miles.  I forgot about Costco.. we do have one of those but as I am single.. have never thought of a membership.. what do I need a gallon of catsup for?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Latest posts