New Member Living in 2007 Prius

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I was in a bad relationship for 5 years and the only way out was to live in my car. Must I say, I'm loving it. I was in the army for 9 years and I've always loved the outdoors, so most ideas of car dwelling have come naturally. But I stumbled across this community and realized that there is much I need to learn. First...

Condensation in cold weather: I'll be living in the Prius during the upcoming winter, and condensation has me worried. I've lived in a tent and a motor home previously during the winter, but I have a job to go to in the morning and don't want to spend 30 minutes scraping the inside and outside of my windows every morning. Last night I cracked one window about an inch, this did nothing for the next morning as I had to wipe the insides of the windows. At the moment I don't have much money to spend until I re-route my pay checks from the shared checking account to my own checking account (57$ for the next week)

Second...

I want to take this time to tear myself down as a person and rediscover who I really am, and what I can become. I can't wait until I have the Prius properly prepared for car dwelling so I can travel and meet new people.

As other issues and questions arise I'll post them in the forum here. I planning on making a blog/vlog (like everyone else) because this is a journey I would like to record, share, and look back on. I should have done this years ago.....
I look forward to hearing from the community

Welcome aboard mdoverl !
A Prius is a pretty small space so condensation is extra hard to keep in check.
Where are you going to be spending the winter?
We have a few Prius dwellers here and hopefully they will have some ideas for you.
I close off the driving area with plastic and that helps a LOT but I'm in a class C RV .
I don't think you will be able to separate sleeping area from driving area like that though???

mdoverl! Welcome to the CRVL forums! I know people run the AC and heat in a Prius during the night, while they sleep. Can you run the defroster? There are a few Prius dwellers here. I'm sure they can advise you.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome from one Prius Dweller to Another!

I do a couple of things for condensation. Having just slept in some below-freezing weather, these tactics worked for me.

First, hang curtains (e.g., polyester fleece) to keep your breath away from the windshield and hatch windows. Hang one curtain just in front of the 2 front seats, and the other where the hatch hinges to the body. Crack both side windows for air flow. This reduces the amount of moisture available to cling to the inside of your windows.

Second, when you wake up in the morning, turn on your Prius's defroster. Put the car in Ready mode and set the front and back windows to defrost and heat. Turn up the heat too as it's probably pretty cold inside. Be sure to remove the front curtain so you get the benefit of the blowing heat. I typically set the temp and vent directions before I go to bed in anticipation of the next morning. If it's too cold, I'll climb back into bed for a few minutes to let the interior warm up. Note: If it's especially cold outside, it may take a while for the heater to blow warm because its heat comes from a running engine.

The best to you on this journey. Safe travels!

Suanne

Mdoverl, Hi from another part time Prius dweller. Suanne has this whole thing down as she has been at it for some time. I will only add for now is that in the morning I take my hiking pole to push the brake peddle as I push the start button the dash to start my Prius, without totally getting out of bed. Of course if you have push button start I'm envious.

Brent
www.macaloney.blogspot.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome, I think you will be pleased with your Prius!

I had to comment on when you said:
"I want to take this time to tear myself down as a person and rediscover who I really am, and what I can become."

My story is similar as I turned to vandwelling when i went through a divorce and my life hit rock bottom. I had come to the point where I simply had to change, so I began to follow a path that promised that I could change if i was willing to really try. But, it gave me this warning:

"Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely."

Just like they said, I tried to hold onto some of my old ideas and I failed, no real change came. So I gave up on that path. I thought my life couldn't get worse, but it did, and I had no hope. So I went back and this time I truly was willing to give up all my old ideas, and I literally did.

It worked, everything in my life changed, I literally became a new person--for that I will be eternally grateful!

I have no idea what your path will be, or who or what you will become, but with all my heart I do believe you must be willing to question every belief--the more sacred it is to you, the more important that you question it.

I wish you the very best in this amazing, wonderful, and fearsome new adventure!

rvpopeye:
I'll be spending the winter in West Des Moines, Iowa, where i also currently work.

The sleeping area is pretty easy to separate from the front seats actually with a Prius. I'm currently fold the back seats down and use that area for my sleeping, much like I've seen many people online doing.
Thank you very much for your response.

cyndi:
I find that interesting running heat and AC at the same time. I've been unable to run the heat this due to insufficient funds at the moment, have had to watch how much gas I consume, how I drive, and the routes I take from point a, b, and c.
Thank you also for your response.

Suanne:
I went to WalMart and had a black clothe cut at the fabric department that cost four dollars. I was going to set it up with velcro but it was dark out last night, so I opted to tuck the top ends into the visors on driver and passenger side the block the windshield from collecting condensation. This worked out great, but the weather about 65 degrees last night, better than the 42 degrees of the prior night. It also helped as a privacy curtain to a degree.
I'll be seeking you advice a lot. Suanne and thank you for replying

Oberneldon:
Great idea with the hiking pole, I ended up using my shoes this morning the push the break in.
Thanks for your time in replying to this post, very much appreciated.

akrvbob:
Thank you for sharing that. I'll take what you've said to heart. The start of our path's look very similar.
Thank you

mdoverl said:
cyndi:
I find that interesting running heat and AC at the same time.
I wasn't saying to run the AC and heat at the same time. Sorry about the confusion.

A dollar store plastic drop cloth makes a cheap and effective vapor barrier,painter's tape will hold it in place and is easy to remove..(but not from the plastic ! lol )
Using the car's heating system will use some fuel but way less then a non-Prius !

I live in Maine right now , I heat the inside of my classs C with a Buddy heater but turn it off at night while I sleep and can keep warm using just a couple of sleeping bags , one inside of the other for medium cold seasons and add layers of poly pro underwear and fleece jacket(s) a fleece beanie hat and gloves as needed when it gets to the below 20* cold. I also have a down jacket that I throw over as a mini blanket or can wear it over all the rest if I want.

I guess Suanne is the tribal Prius camping expert , you can learn so much from her . Read her blog and then start asking questions. Olbernon and all the rest of us will help her answer anything ......

Now get that check deposit stuff taken care of asap ! You CAN do this!!!

rvpopeye: I'll head to the Dollar Store after work. Hopefully they carry plastic drop cloth, i have duct tape

Thanks for your time!

YW
You can get them at Wally World too , (and maybe Lowes and HD hardware stores ).

Well, this is me checking in. I have a place to take shower and wash laundry once a week, and car insurance is paid for. I get a full paycheck tomorrow. First up is a P.O. Box, JetBoil and gym membership. I've been sleeping great actually in my little Prius. My favorite place to sleep so far has been a nearby truck stop.

Bob: I read your latest blog post. I'm 33, just got out of a long relationship. I really took to heart when you said that you wished you had figured things out in your 20s and had been a van dweller then. I'm estimating I'll be saving 1,500 dollars a month if I continue with this path. I would like to save up a bunch of money that way, then focus on traveling around the united states. Also, I think it would really great to meet some of you guys in person whenever I travel. I've been traveling to a lot of state and county parks the past week and have had a blast.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to answer this post and for being so caring, some of you in your own ways lol

Hi! I look forward to hearing about your travels and adventurers on all levels. I'm in a similar situation, although I'm almost 10 years older than you, I wish I had heard of this lifestyle sooner, but I have to trust there was a reason until I only heard of it this summer. I plan to be on the road by April 1.

Welcome! sorry you found the cardwelling life in this manner, but glad you're adapting to it well, good luck and enjoy!

mdoverl said:
Bob: I read your latest blog post. I'm 33, just got out of a long relationship. I really took to heart when you said that you wished you had figured things out in your 20s and had been a van dweller then. I'm estimating I'll be saving 1,500 dollars a month if I continue with this path. I would like to save up a bunch of money that way, then focus on traveling around the united states. Also, I think it would really great to meet some of you guys in person whenever I travel. I've been traveling to a lot of state and county parks the past week and have had a blast.

I envy your wisdom and courage at such a young age!! My camp is always open to you! Follow my blog and email me for a map you think we are in the same area! Of course we are all easy to find in the winter time!

Well closing in on four weeks of living inside my Prius and things have straighten out at this point.

I've found free storage for all my belongings but I'm really thinking of selling or giving away most things and try to narrow it down to just owning the things in my car.

I got a new checking account starting and my money is now being deposited into it in which no one else has access to it.

I burned my two credit cards (but kept the accounts open so they continue to improve my credit. I actually plan on getting more credit cards and just throwing them in the trash so I can have open accounts improving my credit).

I found a cheap laundromat that cost 2 dollars per load. I only need to wash one load per week, so that's been 8 dollars per month in expenses.

I'm getting a gym membership tonight that will cost 20 dollars total for initial investment (A Planet Fitness Special, I think it goes up to 30 dollars per month after X amount of months). So as of tonight showering woes are no longer of a concern. The days of baby wipes and soap bars at the truck stop are hopefully behind me.

I've been saving 200 dollars per week, but I've been spending a lot of money on food. I guess I'll have to work on cutting those expenses down.

I bought a machine for rolling cigarettes for 50 dollars. the cost of getting tobacco and filtered tubes cost 8.50 per week. Wow a pack a day for 7 days, and it only cost 8 dollars and 50 cents, amazing.

At the moment I'm on course to save 800 dollars per month, but I want to get that number higher. Only debt I have is the 4000 I only on my Prius, I'm all clear after that.

After I save about 10,000 dollars I plan on volunteering for habitat for humanity in a southern state that is a little warm and do something good with my life and gain some carpentry, electrical and plumping skills in the process. I would like to fix up old homes, motor-homes, and RVs in the future.

If you have any suggestions on how I can save more money (Not sure if I'll be able to cut down on food, I love the taste of good quality food, but I need to cook more often, which will be challenging in the coming winter, drop a line if you have an idea for that), and thanks for all of your support.

Good for you, congratulations! You've come a long way in just a month. I remember your first post!! You were a mess... :D

The only way to cut down on your food expenses is to do more of your own meal prep.

Let's face it, even a crappy fast food breakfast with coffee is going to set you back at least 4 or 5 bucks for something you can do yourself for less than half that.

W/M sells butane stoves but you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere (like a surplus store). I know you can find the butane canisters cheaper than what W/M charges. The stove is so small that it won't take up hardly any room which I know you're short on in a Prius.

A medium saucepan and a 10" fry pan with a couple of dollar store cooking utensils, some wise shopping and you're away to the races even if you don't have refrigeration. A small stove top kettle is under 10bucks at W/M. If you don't want instant coffee, take a look at a coffee press.

Pick up a tv table from a goodwill store for a 'counter top'. Toss out the stand part of it.

You'll need to either shop for fresh meat daily or get yourself a cooler. Me, if I was in a Prius and living in an urban area, I'd be shopping daily.

Find a grocery store that has a butcher counter so that you can buy 1 of something for cooking for dinner. Eggs for breakfast do not really need to be refrigerated if you don't keep them for a long time. Buy just a half dozen if you're worried about keeping them. For dinners don't be afraid to use the rice sides or instant potatoes. Yes, they're not the best in nutrition for you but it sure beats paying restaurant prices for food and they're probably healthier than fast food you're eating now. I take the pasta sides and divide them in to single serve portions.

If you can't bring yourself to do more than make your own coffee and breakfast maybe, then at least start hanging out at the deli counter in a grocery store. You'll find better options there than eating out all the time. I know the one store near me will heat an entree off the deli counter in their microwave if you ask.

Oh, and get that debt paid down. I know you're intent on saving money but paying it off means your savings grow even faster once you're not making car payments. I'd take at least half of what you're saving and plow it in to extra car payments until the debt is gone.

I think you said you are working? You can use the microwave at work to heat frozen meals, bake potatoes, beans, oatmeal, etc. ..if they have a fridge you can store small items.

I'm not sure if you are urban camping but you can try hospitals too. ..there waiting areas or cafeterias have microwaves to use.

mdoverl said:
After I save about 10,000 dollars I plan on volunteering for habitat for humanity in a southern state that is a little warm and do something good with my life and gain some carpentry, electrical and plumping skills in the process. I would like to fix up old homes, motor-homes, and RVs in the future.

If you have any suggestions on how I can save more money (Not sure if I'll be able to cut down on food, I love the taste of good quality food, but I need to cook more often, which will be challenging in the coming winter, drop a line if you have an idea for that), and thanks for all of your support.

Congrats on all the progress you've made! It sounds like you have a vision of your future and a plan for how to get there. What an excellent idea to gain building skills by donating your time to Habitat!!

My thoughts on the food: I like a lot of the advice others have sent on how to cook simple things on your own. But in an urban area, standing outside to do that may be difficult much of the time. I would say that since much of your lifestyle is fairly spartan, don't cut back to much on something you enjoy so. You may want to make an adventure out of finding cafes that serve good but highly nutritional foods (maybe Thai, vegetarian, home-cooking, etc.).

Oh, and I recommend you read up on the credit cards and your credit score. Having too many open cards can hurt your score, as they look at this like you might suddenly use all the credit limits and get yourself into debt. So check an expert site on their recommendations for balancing those considerations.

If you did not notice Suanne's blog URL in her post, I will point out that her web site has very detailed info on each aspect of the Prius lifestyle. You can get right to the specific info by looking in the right-hand column for her links to "how-to" posts.

Looking forward to more reports from you.

mdoverl

I am envious of how much you have accomplished in a month. More than I have, that's for sure. As for saving money, loose the cigarettes. It will save you ten fold in the future what it saves you today. Just having cards will not give you credit, that is a history of you using credit and paying it off on time. There are some 12v fry pan, sauce pan and slow cookers that could be used in your car to save on food. There is also a oven the size of a lunch box that a number here use.