New in Virginia/North Carolina

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dust of the Sun

Reaction score
Lots of great info on this site. I'm just now looking into getting an rv type van.&nbsp; Step one was accomplished:&nbsp; Got out of living in Florida to escape the economic collapse, crowds, traffic, congestion, crime, hurricanes AND fire ants!!!! Relocated out of the way in Southside Virginia around the North Carolina Border north of Raleigh...a better place to weather the dark days ahead....farms and FOOD all around. Next step: Get into the rv culture for MOBILITY purposes. Along with that I develop short courses, like 3-4 hour quickie courses the full-time RV-er could earn income with as they travel around the country...Marketing was my thing in the OLDE economy...mostly useless now but this idea has traction. Looking to meetup with full-timers coming thru my area and exchange valuable ideas on making a living on the road. I'm a mechanical klutz so I'd like to exchange my full blown Free University/Non-Credit/Adult Education/Fun Courses workup for your assistance in teaching me the ins and outs and how-to's of the vehicles and gear...Game?? Let's talk. Jobs are disappearing...becoming entrepreneurial IS becoming a necessity whether living in place or traveling the country. <br>

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">Hi Dust in the Sun,</span></font><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;"><br></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">Welcome to the forum! &nbsp;You're right, there is a wealth of info on this site. &nbsp;I'm in the beginning/prep stages of van conversion,and hear what you're saying. &nbsp;</span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;"><br></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">Glad you joined us,</span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">Katie</span></font></div>

Welcome, we need more on this side of the country.&nbsp; I like to think I'm mechanically inclined till you put a computer in a vehicle.&nbsp; Will try to answer questions free of charge.&nbsp; Ed<br>

To KatieinKansas you mention beginning a van conversion...I'm wondering is there some place on this forum where you can easily find PICTURES of people's various rigs and conversion steps...I'm a slow learner and am only just getting started on this whole site. Haven't seen pics links in forum postings yet...probably just haven't looked enough yet.<br><br>To 1olman, thanks for the hospitality...I don't have a van yet and probably ain't gonna get out west anytime soon either...wish there was some gathering in the southeast I could meet people at...I know Bob's interested in January which is not ideal for my neck of the woods on the Virginia/North Carolina border. I'd just like to meet some vandwellers and see their rigs at this point but don't see anybody yet near me. I wonder if it's feasible to try and put together some event in my lake/fishing/semi-resort area at the Kerr Reservoir in Virginia in say September/October ?? I wonder if anybody would come? I'd be willing to do a bunch of work and even put out some cash for the event I'm so desperate to find the type of people who frequent this site and have vans and conversions and rv's...the mainstream Airstream-type set were really rude to me on another site (that's a story in itself) and I see a huge difference in the people here...not pretentious and uppity and rulebook carrying snobs. Anyway, if anybody heading my way, please contact me.<br><br>

Dust, if you advertise a get to gether, they will come. I'm working with someone to try one here in upstate Ny. Va isn't THAT far, and my wife and I have kinda sorta plans to be in Va/DC vicinity in Aug to meet up with her uncle. If it develops, and you do a gtg at the same time, we will try to be there. I'm a builder and remodeler, so I've been "selling" myself for a long time already. And... I hear ya on the fire ants!
Welcome again

<P><FONT size=3 face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey! I wondered where you got to!&nbsp; I'm glad your out of Florida, virginia is a beautiful state.&nbsp; I hope to travel through there next year!</FONT></P>