New Here, But Not New To RV’s and Vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Yukon

Reaction score
I’ve been retired for 3½ years and just goofing off now however, years before retirement had already been to every state west of the Mississippi, Canada and the Southeast. Started with tent camping then moved to pop-up tent camper then an RV trailer, then a 5th wheel, a few old motor homes (what problems they were) and several vans. The one van I should have kept was my hippie 1965 Chevy Van, fun van, fun times!

I live in Northeast Florida, next to the Intracoastal Waterway and 2 miles from the ocean and always have to be prepared for a grid down situation if the hurricane is not a direct hit and I stay to ride it out. If a direct hit of a CAT-2 or stronger then I Bug Out! Here’s where my current van plays an important part. I can drive 100-150 miles away and have with me all my camp gear for cooking, Honda generator for small battery charging, ceramic filters purifying water and a nice dry bed to sleep in even in torrential rains. Actually too much to list but I won’t need a thing from stores for weeks.

My current van is going through a little reorganization of the bed size/layout, space for porta-potti and easier access to all the gear stored under the bed. Also I will be installing 200 watts of solar on the roof although undecided if I want the system permanent or portable.

Link to a van photo:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I72UQMw3EOM/VXYA2s1iUrI/AAAAAAAAD4k/cNAxAdEmTIo/s1600/van+and+canopy.JPG

Mike

Welcome, Mike! Nice, simple set up! My first thought was to go that route, but thinking of the van as my home has me making things as "homey" as I can!

AbuelaLoca said:
Welcome, Mike! Nice, simple set up! My first thought was to go that route, but thinking of the van as my home has me making things as "homey" as I can!
Thanks AbuelaLoca.
I certainly agree with you. If this is your home then take the time to make it one. I'm changing the inside and starting with what I feel most important, a proper sized bed! I feel for me its to be 30 inches x 75 inches. That leaves me with an 18 inch wide by the length of the van inside or about 8 feet that goes to the floor. In this area will be stuff I need all the time, cooler, potti, etc. plus I can sit on the bed and my legs/feet are on the floor.

Welcome Mike to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Welcome Mike to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  highdesertranger

Next photo I'll give the resizing a try. Thanks

Welcome aboard Mike !
Ask or reply to questions as needed ...............

Mike Yukon said:
The one van I should have kept was my hippie 1965 Chevy Van, fun van, fun times!
Ah, MAN! I had a 1967 GMC shorty. It had three on the tree, and the engine sat in the doghouse that was right between the two seats. I could make minor repairs (changing belt etc.) without having to get out of the vehicle. Great when it's raining. :p 
Of all the vans I've owned, I think I miss that one the most. :( 
Welcome to here from there.   :)