New Canadian Van rebuild

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

550guy

Reaction score
Hello all, been lurking here for about a year now gathering info. I've got a 74' Dodge hightop campervan, totally gutted the interior to start fresh. Going to be insulating floor and walls as best I can. This will be more of a weekender and extended trip use van, though full time living isn't out of the question. The problem I've run up against is too much info has got my head spinning.
I want to be able to boondock with dual house batteries and a 120v - 160v range portable solar setup and I also want 120v shore power. I'm only going to be running a 12v fridge(mainly off shore power) so for that I'm assuming I'll need a converter and some lighting. I want to keep it simple.
9631fd99b2de9feb8a68b51d06a82edd.jpg
e6a7036dc70fc283110a4384c7c6782c.jpg

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard !
Looks like you have a good base to build on and a fair amount of the build done.

Thanks, that pic is showing the old interior with its 40+yr old carpet. It's now an empty shell. I'm filling in holes right now then I'll be ready to get at putting down a floor base.

Welcome 550guy to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

You know , I read that you had gutted it but guess the pics overrode that fact !! ;)

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

If your Van looks like that right now,  I'd say you're sittin pretty !

I find it ironic that you have those louvered window covers on the side windows though instead of the rear door windows.  They can be attached  so the rear windows will still operate.   Those tilt out rear windows can make a nice breeze for you when driving.  I've seen Vans where they built a side to side one piece mud flap that would  keep the dust low so it isn't drawn up into the open rear windows.    Even keeps the draft down low so exhaust gasses aren't so much a problem.

On the question of lighting some here go to the Dollar Store and find those little sidewalk solar marker lights that have LED lights in them.  They leave them outside to charge all day and then at dusk bring them in to light the interior of the Van.  Simple and effective while being inexpensive.

You could install a continuous duty solenoid to charge the two house batteries. 

This is Bob's video detailing the use of a constant duty solenoid to charge house batteries while driving.

Some would suggest two 6 volt golf cart batteries for this duty.  (wired together in series)  This way your starter battery will be isolated from the house batteries and ready to start your engine when you need   You could later add the Solar to the house batteries  to charge them.  You may want to have the solar in use when the solenoid charging is disconnected.  (like when you are in camp) 

I agree that there is a lot of information here,  but it looks like you are rather near being able to meet your objectives as you are.

What is it that you are wanting to do now ?   Plywood flooring and carpet ?  Insulation on the walls and roof ? 
Are you wanting to keep heat in or out ? 

I have a couple of websites below where the first is for setting up a very basic Camper/Travel Van. (but not for extreme weather....although I have been out in some snow storms and very cold weather)   I fared ok  but
if I were going to full time in the extremes of weather I'd build for that objective.

Weekends and extended trips in decent weather may work best for you with a simple build.  Then before going full time, you may want to strip the Van once again and build for that purpose.

going to insulate floor, walls for what it's worth, also for sound deadening, more to keep heat out. With all the windows it won't be easy. plywood base on floor, probably not carpet. hightop is insulated. Probably going the Reflectix route. Which I will also try to cut out pieces to fit onto the windows in back

My height, 6'1", is going to require me to layout the bed area along one side, back to front. I've no need for a sink or interior cooking space.

If all you need is sleeping space, and of course, storage, maybe think about just putting a hugeass big bed in the whole back end.

My ex boyfriend at 6'4" had the bed in the back of the chev built edge to edge and from the back doors to past the rear side door. ALL the underside was storage accessible either from the front or the back. It took a queen size mattress just fine IIRC

In general starting with camping gear and building from there works. I like cooking off the tail. You can put the bed up high enough to have a kitchen underneath at the rear and storage at the front. A solar project is a good first major effort, after the bed. Location of the battery box will impact a lot, future wiring, load and charge, etc. Closer to the vehicle battery is probably best. Don't make it too complicated.

You're off to a great start, heck, you are half the way around the racetrack. Many people don't even have the vehicle, much less having already worked on it. Your labour and ideas thus far look great. 

You've received good tips and you obviously know how to research things. Just watch lots of UTube videos, read lots of the sub-forum technicals on heating/air conditioning, insulation, electricals and pick your own method.

I can't add much to what has been said other than welcome, research and enjoy your weekends out. Remember that the National Parks are discounted this year:

Free 2017 Parks Canada Discovery Pass
by DCTA on December 7, 2016

In celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary, Parks Canada is offering their 2017 Discovery Pass free of charge. This pass normally costs ~ $140 for a family, so this is obviously phenomenal value. You can order more than one pass in a single order, and there is no shipping charge or collection of credit card information. The pass can be shipped to anywhere in the world, so if you’re planning a trip to Canada anytime in 2017, might as well order a pass.

Welcome 550Guy to CRVL. Thanks for sharing your BEFORE & REbuild photos. I like the initial layout and may incorporate similar into my minivan conv. My bed is going to be a folder with a short side (behind drivers seat and a long side behind passenger seat as my SO is over 6ft and I am just above 5 and sleep rather balled up. I hope you find a cozy corner as you enjoy all the great people, stories and wealth of information this forum offers. Be safe and enjoy the roads ahead.

Welcome! that van had a sweet setup to begin with, such a shame it wasn't up to par, but you'll have it 'as you like it' in no time

ArtW said:
Welcome! that van had a sweet setup to begin with, such a shame it wasn't up to par, but you'll have it 'as you like it' in no time

ArtW, I agree.  I've seen a lot of layouts, I'm sure not all.  This original layout was new to me, looks to be quite functional as it puts the kitchen out of the way with storage and a potty space? Though it blocks the rear doors...  It does provide me something more to work with for my current plans.