New batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simply sitting in a hot car at 140F isn't a problem.

Let's consult the literature:

This study presents the aging results of 27 commercial graphite/LFP cells stored under 9 different conditions of temperature (30°C, 45°C, and 60°C) and nominal state of charge (SOCnom 30%, 65%, and 100%). The extent of capacity loss was found to be directly related to the storage temperature. It is most prominent for the most severe aging condition (T = 60°C and SOCnom = 100%). Storage SOC also influences the capacity loss, though it is of secondary importance compared to storage temperature. - source

In case the connection isn't obvious, 140F = 60C.

Not only that, but you completely ignored the fact that the batteries referred to in this thread all have a BMS, which protects against over temperature.

Simply sitting at severe temperatures is bad (calendar aging, as seen above). Use at severe temperatures is also bad (cycle aging). A BMS can only protect from the latter.

Otherwise, please stop spreading misinformation to people who don't know any better.

Excellent advice we should all strive to follow.

I got 2 Renogy 100AH BT batteries hooked up to a Renogy 50 amp DC-DC charge controller.
It only pulls 25 amps off the alternator, the other 25 is supposed to come from solar.... I'm pretty sure I'm good only drawing 25 amps off the alternator...

Probably a non-issue, but: the alternator can provide up to 50A when there is 0w of solar charging present. Here is the relevant section of the manual:

renogy2525.jpg

The 25A+25A limit is only present when both charging sources are present at the same time. So if you are driving at night or with panels disconnected the alt can chip in up to 50A.

The Renogy website shows only the 25A+25A language, I guess to prevent people from thinking they can get 50A + 50A at the same time. But it muddies the waters IMO.

BTW, same behavior in the 30A version, just 15A+15A.

Probably a non-issue, but: the alternator can provide up to 50A when there is 0w of solar charging present. Here is the relevant section of the manual:

renogy2525.jpg

The 25A+25A limit is only present when both charging sources are present at the same time. So if you are driving at night or with panels disconnected the alt can chip in up to 50A.

The Renogy website shows only the 25A+25A language, I guess to prevent people from thinking they can get 50A + 50A at the same time. But it muddies the waters IMO.

BTW, same behavior in the 30A version, just 15A+15A.
Yeah I found that out since that post.
There was some poorly phrased info I read somewhere that led me to believe it was 25 amps on each leg only.
Now I see that my bank is pulling a total of about 44-48 amps depending on how depleted they are and the temp. Driven about 5000 miles more or less since installing this set up and it's been working fine with no solar. Going to wait until spring before I install roof panels and a roof vent.