Netflix Documentary on Minimalism--two thumbs up!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigi

Reaction score
For those interested in the subject---Just watched a really good film on Netflix called: "Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things."  It will speak to many kindred spirits here.  Carries many of the sames messages as Bob's awesome "Christmas" blog.

I watched a bit of it last week. It was interesting, but the two guys that kept hugging people instead of a handshake turned me off. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I really don't like hugging people I haven't met yet. A handshake works just fine. So I minimized Netflix and went to sleep.

Hank

LOL Hank. I know what you mean. It looked like quite a few people on the receiving end of their hugs weren't "huggy" people either!

I watched last night and what they say is true. It's not the having, it's the getting and the charge people get from it.

907KHAM687 said:
I watched a bit of it last week. It was interesting, but the two guys that kept hugging people instead of a handshake turned me off.  Maybe I'm a weirdo but I really don't like hugging people I haven't met yet. A handshake works just fine.  So I minimized Netflix and went to sleep.

Hank

LOL, I thought the same thing when I watched it. But I guess some folks are so it is OK with them.
I don't like people to "touch" me, unless I want them too. (make sense?)
I have never been a Touchy Feelly person, so I do get what you said.
These guys are awesome tho, as they are very happy in their life now, and are passing on their knowledge, (at a price) to those who are not as happy as they.
I guess I think most of them who are trying to pass on the info is more about the money, than the knowledge.
Maybe I am just a lot pessimistic?
Anyway, I did think they did too much hugging.
Sharon

Yeah, I liked the movie. Especially that wide desert monologue shot, and the President Carter speech part.

They have a Podcast that's decent. ("The Minimalists") It's really not spectacular or anything, but I still find myself listening to it regularly and it's one of the oldest podcast/blogs that I still follow. I guess some of the appeal is that it's really easy to listen to, but has enough interesting/complex parts to make me want to listen to more

When things are out of control in life, liberty, and happiness I tend to look back, as many others are doing, to history. I feel that I must know how America began, what our founders intended from where they came from (Great Britain), and how we have been hustled for generations and steered into what/ where we are now. "Back to basics for me". I just finished watching the movie.

I enjoyed this movie a while back, put together very well. I agree with you Jim on "the getting" vs "the having"; the former includes the thrill of the hunt, the latter is basically stuff for the pile. TXPatriot, your post immediately brought the closing scene from "Killing Them Softly" in this 1:10 minute clip... Please note that the "cynical" reference is for Pitt's character, not a personal reference... this scene simply opens with it.