netflix documentary "Expedition Happiness"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sreesekelley

Reaction score
I couldn't find a previous topic that covered this show.  It's on netflix if you have it.  "Expedition happiness".  The film is about a German couple who fly to the united states, build out a school bus and travel from the USA, to Canada, Alaska, down the west coast and on into Mexico.  While not about full time living, they did live in the bus and chose to bypass large cities for boondocking spots.  The videography is quite beautiful, the music is original and the issues they face are quite common to folks liviing on the road.

I enjoyed it, perhaps you might as well.

I followed them both on YT and instagram while they were vlogging their adventures on the road and enjoyed them immensely. You can find them under the same name if you want to see their old vlogs. 

Saw the trailer for their movie and thought it was very professional and impressive. I'm hoping that the movie will still be available on Netflix when I renew my subscription in the next couple of months.

PineyCruisin said:
You can find them under the same name if you want to see their old vlogs. 

It's always a nice surprise to bring up a new YouTube channel, realize you're already subscribed, and that you've already watched most of their top videos.

gotta love youtube, you can find subject media on any topic of interest... It's helpful when deciding on your nomadic vehicle of choice, just search for full time living in a canoe and bingo:)

I found it a bit slanted in its view. They obviously had plenty of money as they seemed to have no lack of funds building their bus or for traveling around. Yes they boondock, but when doggy got sick they could pay untold sums of money to get him treated. Maybe I’m just jealous, but it didn’t seem to be a true representation of people who leave behind the consumerist lifestyle and live cheaply and freely. As I said, perhaps I’m just jealous that I don’t have the money to fly around the globe and build out a bus just for fun and then go home when things turn difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They aren't unemployed or retired either. I heard him say he works online and can work anywhere.

Yes, the fact they seemed to have a lot of money to burn bothered me at first, but as I watched the movie they really appeared to be genuine people.  I just watched it tonight and have to admit I did really enjoy it. Really unfortunate how badly our customs officers treated them at Canada, I really felt their powerlessness to do anything and wish there was something I could do about it.

I would think that having lots of money and choosing not to spend it on crap is the ultimate anti- consumer thing to do.

You can be very wealthy and still reject the more mindless consumer mainstream values.

Yes you are a bit more protected against persecution for that rejection, easier to "present as if" for the bureaucrats.

Being privileged is not a black and white issue, lots of greyscale complexities.

Just having gas money to relocate your rig, gives a lot more freedom of choice than those without.

I can relate to the people on the show by yall's comments here. (I haven't watched the show/movie yet) . As a full time rv-er for the last 11yrs I make a very good wage doing contract work for the Oil & Gas Pipeline industry. I chose at first to get small TT so I didn't have to pay for hotels. I save myself on average $1000/ month by not getting a room that I will never own. I'm changing to a shuttle bus. I got rid of my house and stuff since I was never there anyways. Plus she left me and I have no kids. All my work in contract work. So my income varies alot from month to month throughout the year. It's a gamble. So..even though I could afford and have had a large rv etc. I am still down to earth and need a more simpler living. The one thing that amazed me is no matter what size TT I owned..small to extra large...every other camper treated me very well and didn't judge me or I them.
Heck...I met a husband and wife who's grandson is on Trumps personal medical detail. (They had lots of pictures of them in the oval office and dinner at the WH with Trump and his family. Ok..I'm rambling..sorry. I use much of my income,skills, knowledge, and spare time helping others on the road. #BeABlessing

since when does being a nomad require a vow of poverty?
people picking on folks for not being poor enough?
some of you people really dial in on the "cheap" in "cheaprvliving".

Meh, I always found the whole "Poverty Purity" thingie to be silly.

If people don't like me because I'm not poor enough to suit them...well... (shrug)

Some Native American tribes believe that it is wrong to have more than poorest of the tribe, that if you have more you should be looked down on if you don't help, and they are helping you be a good person by taking from you what is needed, it happens a lot on the res.

bullfrog said:
Some Native American tribes believe that it is wrong to have more than poorest of the tribe, that if you have more you should be looked down on if you don't help, and they are helping you be a good person by taking from you what is needed, it happens a lot on the res.

That's probably a lot easier to do if the most powerful military in the world had NOT invaded your country, killed nearly all your people, then forced you to live in a fenced-in area that nobody else wants because there are no jobs there.

Just a guess.

quote="sreesekelley" .....  "Expedition happiness".  The film is about a German couple who fly to the united states, build out a school bus and travel from the USA, to Canada, Alaska, down the west coast and on into Mexico.  While not about full time living, they did live in the bus and chose to bypass large cities for boondocking spots.  The videography is quite beautiful, the music is original and the issues they face are quite common to folks liviing on the road.
I enjoyed it, perhaps you might as well.
quote="PineyCruisin"
I followed them both on YT and instagram while they were vlogging their adventures on the road and enjoyed them immensely. You can find them under the same name if you want to see their old vlogs. 
Saw the trailer for their movie and thought it was very professional and impressive. 
quote="Tiny Metal Tube"
It's always a nice surprise to bring up a new YouTube channel, realize you're already subscribed, and that you've already watched most of their top videos.
quote="Stephen"
I found it a bit slanted in its view. They obviously had plenty of money as they seemed to have no lack of funds building their bus or for traveling around. Yes they boondock, but when doggy got sick they could pay untold sums of money to get him treated. Maybe I’m just jealous, but it didn’t seem to be a true representation of people who leave behind the consumerist lifestyle and live cheaply and freely.
quote="Itripper"
Yes, the fact they seemed to have a lot of money to burn bothered me at first, but as I watched the movie they really appeared to be genuine people.  I just watched it tonight and have to admit I did really enjoy it. Really unfortunate how badly our customs officers treated them at Canada
quote="rm.w/aview"
So watching this is like watching a vacation movie?

rm.w/aview said:
So watching this is like watching a vacation movie?

From watching their vlogs, I got the impression that they were more about filming their adventures/misadventures than they were trying to educate people on how to live full time on the road in a vehicle. So, yes, I would imagine their movie is geared toward those who want to come along for the ride and see some gorgeous sights along the way. 

I actually got introduced to the whole living-in-DIY-camper-vehicles-to-explore-nature concept by accidentally stumbling across Felix and Mogli on FunForLouis' channel. So, it was this couple who first inspired me to look into this kind of life which then eventually led me to this forum and other YT channels and websites to learn the hows, whys, and what nots to make the dream a reality. I'm sure if I stumbled across an urban vandwelling channel showing how to keep warm in a cold climate without fogging up the windows trying to escape the cop-knocks nightly, I wouldn't have been nearly as inspired to want to hit the road myself. (although I still would have found it fascinating, nonetheless)

I watched it too, and found it pretty real, altho, Yes, they do seem to have a fair bit of money to work with and finance the expedition.

Itripper said:
Really unfortunate how badly our customs officers treated them at Canada, I really felt their powerlessness to do anything and wish there was something I could do about it.

Unfortunately, this is all too true!

I have crossed back and forth into Canada numerous times, in many different vehicles. Semi trucks, a pack of choppers, and with the family in an RV.
and WOW, it's unbelievable how rough the customs officials can be...even to residents of the U.S. who are simply trying to get back home!!
Hmmmmm...I have an American Passport, and Oregon driver's license, am driving a vehicle registered AND insured from Oregon, and I speak very clear English. I'm also a longtime business owner, and carry proof of this wherever I go. (never miss a chance to make a sale!)

And yet I'm treated like a threat!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :mad:

OK, sorry for the hijack.

Watch the movie. It's on Netflix right now, and it's pretty good. Not great, but it is good. :)

Be Well.

I just finished watching it. I thought it was pretty good. Just have to take it for what it is.......it's not about people moving into a bus to live the rest of their lives that way, it's about a couple wanting to do some traveling while they figure out what makes them happy in life.

Not sure why anyone would be bothered by them having money or not? Seems a silly reason to not like the film. I'm glad they were able to take the dog to the vet when he needed it, they clearly care very much for their pet and every dog should be so lucky.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Not sure why anyone would be bothered by them having money or not?  Seems a silly reason to not like the film.  I'm glad they were able to take the dog to the vet when he needed it, they clearly care very much for their pet and every dog should be so lucky.

Don't know what was shown in the movie on why they had to take their dog to the vet but in the vlogs the poor guy was having a heat stroke because of the high temperatures while they were visiting the desert. (I think they had some mechanical problems also, if memory serves correctly). They obviously care about their dog and were very distraught when he got very ill but to take a Bernese Mountain dog into Death Valley and other desert areas when in the 100's was not the best decision they made especially since it could have been easily avoided. So, I'm not quite sure I would wish this kind of "luck" on every dog. 

If they used this experience in the movie as a lesson to their viewers to learn from their mistakes by proper planning and sharing the dangers, especially to cool-weather breeds, of visiting that part of the U.S. during the hot months then kudos to them.