need some advice on modifying a car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternRailfan5181

Reaction score
Good evening all. So i've been thinking and brainstorming up different ideas and plans and such for whenever i do end up moving into either a van/car/suv and out of my giant 18 wheeler. Now for most of the cars I've known, its been mainly Jeeps that i've driven. We've all seen the Jeep wranglers out there with the hard top and sloped rear soft top past the third row seat. One of my ideas was to take that out, then fabricate a panel to fit snug into the actual cabin of a Jeep wrangler. Not a huge amount mind you, but far enough to fit a small generator and secondary fuel tank. Would this setup work for running an inverter to supply power to the cabin, provided it was framed-in to prevent excess movement, as i do intend to go offroad a good bit.

For the actual living space, what i had thought of doing was similar to the way most 18 wheelers are set up, save that it is turned around a bit. My initial intent was to take all the seats out, then have the floor made level. Curtains would be hung permanently along the inside, up until the front passenger and drivers door, where i would install movable curtains to pull round at night. I'd intended to put the mattress lengthwise, front to back, and to use the drivers side rear passenger seat for storage. There is a video on youtube from the channel Element Van Life, where the person gives a tour of his remodeled honda element. What he shows there is fairly close to what i had envisioned, just different in the addition of the inverter and second fuel tank as well as the possibility of a solar panel and roof rack.

Thanks and happy travels, hope everyone is enjoying the warming springtime weather!

:)  THAT SOUNDS LIKE A WELL THOUGHT OUT PLAN TO ME  { stinkin' caps lock button! }  One of the things I like about this site is the wide variety of rigs and many ideas I get from them.

Jewellann

Thats always the most interesting thing about people is the ideas they come up with. I had one just yesterday about modifying a roof rack to accomodate a double-sided, modified awning for a midsize suv. Detachable legs too, with square/round feet for solid or flat surfaces and pointed stake feet for offroad or other rough areas.