Need MPPT Charge Controller Recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTrekker

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;">Good morning!</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">It looks like the solar project is back on... well, &nbsp;a piece at a time at least.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I would like to see what everyone's recommendations are as far as a charge controller.&nbsp; I plan to get an MPPT controller.&nbsp; Even if it doesn't raise the efficiency significantly, I am willing to&nbsp;take that risk.&nbsp; Nobody (that I can recall) has said that MPPT will hurt the efficiency.&nbsp; Some have just said that it might not help...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Please post your recommendations... I plan to order by later this weekend.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks!</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><br>Brad</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

I have been using a BZ 250 mppt controller for three and a half years, been trouble free so far. It has a digital display of battery volts, or amps going into the battery, adjustable float level and a&nbsp; battery temp monitor. It also handles panels up to 36 volt (24 nominal). I have had one problem with it. The float point slowly drifts, and every so often I have to reset it to 14.4. It hasn't been a problem but is a minor annoyance. You can buy them for about $130. Comes with a 5 year warranty.<br><br>A bigger, better know brand is the Blue Sky 2000E mppt controller. It is the gold standard of of 25 amp controllers. It costs about $230. <br><br>If you are ever thinking of growing, then I recommend a BZ 500 mppt controler. I believe it handles 48 amps. Has everything you want and comes in a very solid metal box. I think you can get it for around $200. When I bought my system from Solar Mike at the Slabs, he had a BZ 500 controlling his off ice system--that sold me on BZ which is why I have one. Bob<br><br>

<p>I'll be following your adventure, because I'll be doing the same later this year. So far I've read a lot of good things about Blue Sky as well.</p><p>Van.</p>