Is this a good charge controller for a 160 watt solar panel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
I really like those epever controllers. It's a littl3 big for your system but if you want to expand in the future you can with that one.

Normally a PWM controller is sufficient for a one panel (12-20v) system. If you plan to upgrade the number of panels, then an MPPT controller will be compatible whether you wire the panels in parallel or series.

tx2sturgis said:
Normally a PWM controller is sufficient for a one panel (12-20v) system. If you plan to upgrade the number of panels, then an MPPT controller will be compatible whether you wire the panels in parallel or series.
From Will Prowse:

"I will say this once: Do not buy the cheaper "PWM charge controller". They are 70% efficient, and MPPT are 98% efficient. That is huge when it comes to solar. If you are losing 30% of your power to the controller, then 30% of your panels are just sitting there doing nothing. Buy a MPPT charge controller! They are better in so many more ways, and last a lifetime."

lol...thats funny.

My answer was focused on the fact that you already had a controller. I was saying that you dont really need to BUY another, $200 controller to 'eek' out a few percent of efficiency. If you had neither controller, and you had a higher voltage panel, or were going to be running 2 panels in series, then yes, buy an MPPT controller.

Now, I have a question for you, poot (aka gimmytree on the other forum)...

If you consider Will Prowse to be the expert, why do you even bother asking the same questions on both of these forums, over and over?

All of us, everyone who has been trying to help you, myself, HDR, Jim in Denver, Sternwake, Frater, geogentry, gypsy freedom, and many others, have been putting in a LOT of effort to help you. Most of us have been working with batteries and solar panels and controllers since before Will was born. Many of us, myself included, have a solid background in electronics.

If you need help with this, thats fine, we will help you. But if all you are trying to do is to compare our combined decades of knowledge and experience with some young kid on youtube (who by the way, appeared here a couple years ago and was not giving good advice) then you are wasting time, both yours and ours.

I hope you figure this out. I really do.

tx2sturgis said:
lol...thats funny.

My answer was focused on the fact that you already had a controller. I was saying that you dont really need to BUY another, $200 controller to 'eek' out a few percent of efficiency. If you had neither controller, and you had a higher voltage panel, or were going to be running 2 panels in series, then yes, buy an MPPT controller.

Now, I have a question for you, poot (aka gimmytree on the other forum)...

If you consider Will Prowse to be the expert, why do you even bother asking the same questions on both of these forums, over and over?

All of us, everyone who has been trying to help you, myself, HDR, Jim in Denver, Sternwake, Frater, geogentry, gypsy freedom, and many others, have been putting in a LOT of effort to help you. Most of us have been working with batteries and solar panels and controllers since before Will was born. Many of us, myself included, have a solid background in electronics.

If you need help with this, thats fine, we will help you. But if all you are trying to do is to compare our combined decades of knowledge and experience with some young kid on youtube (who by the way, appeared here a couple years ago and was not giving good advice) then you are wasting time, both yours and ours.

I hope you figure this out. I really do.
Yes I already have a controller but I started wondering if I need a better one, which I apparently don't.

I find I get different answers to the same questions and a diverse range of recommendations right across the forums.  Will brings up some interesting points that aren't talked about anywhere else and I'm simply putting up his interesting points for scrutiny.

Ok, I apologize if I sounded harsh. But your reply is acceptable.

With a single solar panel in the 20v range, which yours should be, the difference in real-world performance between a PWM controller and a MPPT controller will not be significant, especially if you already have the PWM controller.

There will be many other variables, including the panel mounting, battery chemistry, daily loads, etc that will increase or decrease the incoming power for the amount of money spent.

If someone, you or anyone else, plans to install multiple panels in series, OR has a higher voltage (~40v) residential panel, then yes, an MPPT controller would be the preferred type of controller to buy from the outset.

tx2sturgis said:
Ok, I apologize if I sounded harsh. But your reply is acceptable.

With a single solar panel in the 20v range, which yours should be, the difference in real-world performance between a PWM controller and a MPPT controller will not be significant, especially if you already have the PWM controller.

There will be many other variables, including the panel mounting, battery chemistry, daily loads, etc that will increase or decrease the incoming power for the amount of money spent.

If someone, you or anyone else, plans to install multiple panels in series, OR has a higher voltage (~40v) residential panel, then yes, an MPPT controller would be the preferred type of controller to buy from the outset.
Good, great!  I don't have to spend more money on another controller. Thanks :)

poot_traveller said:
My solar panel is 160 watts and I currently have a PWM solar charge controller (30V) which apparently aren't very efficient and loss 30% of solar power.  So a MPPT solar charge controller was recommended.  My question is; will this controller be okay for a 160 watt solar panel, or should I buy one of the smaller ones?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07429RK4...ng-20&linkId=8b93017dcab6009786a3f874e2280e87

those controllers do seam to have a pretty decent reputation in the community.

it will work fine for your system and give you room to add a second panel in the future. i dont always recommend getting the larger controller up front as unless you know you will be adding another of the same exact panel you will probably be better of with a new controller to match the new panel down the road.

you dont need to get a smaller controller

you dont need that big of controller

but it wont hurt anything other than your wallet... lol

a 15 amp controller would be what i recommend to be able to handle everything the panel MIGHT put at it.

in your case the unit i like is the victron 75/15 smartsolar (without bluetooth) for around $90 or the 75/15 smart solar from victron (with bluetooth) for around $120 on amazon

Gypsy Freedom said:
those controllers do seam to have a pretty decent reputation in the community.

it will work fine for your system and give you room to add a second panel in the future. i dont always recommend getting the larger controller up front as unless you know you will be adding another of the same exact panel you will probably be better of with a new controller to match the new panel down the road.

you dont need to get a smaller controller

you dont need that big of controller

but it wont hurt anything other than your wallet... lol

a 15 amp controller would be what i recommend  to be able to handle everything the panel MIGHT put at it.

in your case the unit i like is the victron 75/15 smartsolar (without bluetooth) for around $90 or the 75/15 smart solar from victron (with bluetooth) for around $120 on amazon
Do you reckon I should buy it to replace my PWM solar charge controller (30V)? I'm just trying to run my solar setup as efficiently as possible.

you will gain more from the MPPT.

you may get Up To 30% more in some phases and situation.

Will if full of it when he say you WILL get a full 30% more

and the way he diescribes efficiency is all wrong. yes the mppt internal conversion efficency is usually rated in the high 90% range. that is only measureing the conversion loss in the controller. high quality mppt controllers will do a better job of tracking the best "power point" the bester the controller keeps the panel at it's peak power, then the more power gets to the controller.

with the pwm, it does not "convert anything" it acts more like a valve, if the voltage from the panel is too high then the controller restricts the flow of energy to prevent an over volt situation. when your batteries are low the panel cant put out enough power to over volt the battery so there is very little restriction. but the panel, running at that lower voltage is not running (most of the time) at the panels most powerful voltage. then as the voltage comes up, especially around the bulk/absorb cross over then the only way for a pwm controller to keep the voltage constant is to restrict the flow of energy.

it is kind of like an engine. most engines have power curves and are more efficient at certain speeds and loads. we have transmissions in cars so we can have different ground speeds and climb hills and such while keeping the engine in an rpm range where either it is more efficent or more powerful

the mppt controller is like that in that it lets the solar panel ( the engine) work in its best range, and then adjust the output to best suit the need of the batteries

In one of my videos I have two 200 watt arrays, one connected to a PWM controller and the other a MPPT controller. When the battery voltage is low like when you wake the PWM delivered 8 amps from the 200 watts of panel while the MPPT delivered over 11 amps. The difference is less as the battery charges but that's not when you need the power, you need it early on.

For mppt you need a 36 volt panel, if you have a 21 volt panel mppt won't give you any extra amps. The mppt controller takes the higher voltage and converts it to more amps. 

Below are real world results using different panels/controllers charging a 12 volt lead acid battery. I read before that mppt wasn't all that effective on smaller panels but I had to test it out myself.

kycora 120 watt 21 volt panel
wincong 15 amp pwm controller = 6 amps
ecoworthy 20 amp mppt controller = 6 amps  

sharp 240 watt 36 volt panel
wincong 15 amp pwm controller = 7 amps
ecoworthy 20 amp mppt controller = 12 amps

The back of your panel will tell you how much volts it puts out.

jonyjoe303 said:
For mppt you need a 36 volt panel, if you have a 21 volt panel mppt won't give you any extra amps. The mppt controller takes the higher voltage and converts it to more amps. 

Below are real world results using different panels/controllers charging a 12 volt lead acid battery. I read before that mppt wasn't all that effective on smaller panels but I had to test it out myself.

kycora 120 watt 21 volt panel
wincong 15 amp pwm controller = 6 amps
ecoworthy 20 amp mppt controller = 6 amps  

sharp 240 watt 36 volt panel
wincong 15 amp pwm controller = 7 amps
ecoworthy 20 amp mppt controller = 12 amps

The back of your panel will tell you how much volts it puts out.

It has two voltages....

Maximum power voltage is 17.8 V

Open Circuit voltage is 21.1 V

So does that mean I won't get any extra amps from a mppt controller?