Need an honest opinion on selling my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frickinducky

Reaction score
Basically she is a project I can't complete. I have put 5000 since I got her a year ago, but the interior, tranny and engine need work. Esmy (terry prattchet fans will get it), need some love. She is an 89 e150 high top. New tires, muffler, electrical work, recent engine - which needs the ping under load/-acceleration done, but there is still love needed. Is 1500 too much to ask?

Seeing that you have put 5000 into it,2000 would be a reasonable ask.Depends of course<br><br>does it hurt the eyes to much when looking at it....cheers terry

How many miles are on the odometer? Is it a conversion, passenger, or cargo van? What motor and transmission does it have? What is the rust/paint situation? Is it currently inspected?&nbsp;What did you spend the&nbsp;$5000 on? What is your basic location? Can you post a picture?

ccbreder said:
Transmission and engine work.
<br><br>I can fix that for ya... if you're in Virginia?&nbsp; NoVa to be precise...<br><br>

The cold hard facts are this: If you want to sell the van for anything over junk price it needs to be able to be driven. The only thing I can see happening is someone comes along needing a hi-top for a van they already have. You may get $1000.00 for it; more if the van is a cream puff.<br>The problem is if no one can drive it they have no idea what kind of shape any of the running gear is in; ie. brakes, rear end,U joints, shocks, Trans &amp; eng.&nbsp; There are just too many vans out there for $1500.00 that you can drive away. Especially in that vintage. I'd take up thin air on his offer to fix it if he's anywhere close by. At least fix it enough to drive it.<br>I paid $1500.00 for my 1 ton hi top van and put my car on a trailer and towed the car 1,100 miles without doing anything to the van. That is just an example of what is out there to compete in the market place with @ $1500.00. Vans are cheap right now; so are buses. <br>Good luck with the van. Maybe try to fix it. Who knows you may fall in love with it all over again.<br><br>gus

Gus, think you are right. Going to ask $500. It could be great for the right person. Don't want to trash her, but I also only have two weeks.

Sorry, she is in Western Mass. Putting a free to good home on Craigslist for her today. Would rather give her away then get $250 for scrap.

wow $250 for a scrap van.&nbsp; here in kalifornia they will pay 400 for any vehicle.&nbsp; ah we are closer to china.&nbsp; highdesertranger&nbsp;

Yeah, $250 here, but I am too fond of her to do that. I hate our disposable culture. I understand, but ...

Does the van run / drive at all? &nbsp;You indicated it needs work, but is it currently dead, or can someone start and drive it. &nbsp;If it runs somewhat, there are plenty of shade tree mechanics that might be interested. &nbsp;Try listing on Craigslist. &nbsp;If you don't have calls in 24 hours - its listed too high $.

Oh she runs and drives, but needs love. She passed inspection in Jan and just got back from an NYC trip. Decided to postpone putting her on Craigslist until Monday. Going to use her to grab materials for a kitchen rehab job. Just didn't want all of that banging about in our shiny newish rv. Someone will come along with the time and skill. Gotten okay with giving her away. There was just a part of me that wanted to at least get recent costs back, but liking the idea of passing her on.

Don't know about your area, but anything that actually moves down this way is $1000.00. &nbsp;If you have receipts for the repairs, tires are good, etc, I would say somewhat more is possible. &nbsp;Just list it on Craigslist - if there is interest it will be gone in 24 hours. &nbsp;If it isn't, consider other options.