Need advice on a Class B purchase

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcor

Reaction score
I was looking at this today .
1988 Dodge Xplorer Class B.
108000 miles. Very clean and good condition interior. Engine sounds good with no smoke from the exhaust. When I drove it did misfire going up a hill. Maybe needs a tuneup? Tranny dripping slowly from below the pan after driving. Maybe trans pan gasket? Trans fluid looks fairly clean. Engine no leaks except slight valve cover gasket leak.
360 motor with Quadrajet no leaks from carb. Tires and rims new.

Seller wants $5200.

Is this a good deal. I know Class B go for good money.

Attachments

• IMG_5955.JPG
    IMG_5955.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 39
With the miss, I personally would have a compression check. Class B's are finding a higher dollar for sure. In my area, triple that price; couple years newer.

i would budget about $5.000 for repairs,,,,it looks like it needs a "freshening "

If it's clean, and in good condition with no chassis rust, for $2500 you can hardly go wrong, even if it has a whole new drivetrain in its immediate future.

IMHO, the mechanical issues come first!  I bought a 2011 Class B two months ago.  It looked and ran so good that I didn't get too deep into checking out the RV systems.  What I should have done before deciding on a price, though (take a ladder and a flashlight):

Remove the anode rod on the water heater and look for scale.  Also crawl underneath and look at the fresh water tank (it's the white one).  When I realized how crudded up they were, I did some serious flushing and ended up flushing scale through the system, clogging up the water feed to the toilet and all the faucet screens.  Had to remove the toilet to get the line clear.

Check the dates on ALL tires.  I looked at only the rears (2 yrs old); the fronts were 6 yrs old.

Take a ladder and look at the roof, especially the seals around everything.  I had looked UP on the inside for signs of leaks.  Nothing.  But later I found water stains on the wall near the floor
under the sofa bed.  Turns out there had apparently been a leak around the AC and it had been resealed but it would have been nice to know beforehand.

Check battery(s) dates.  One of mine had no date, the other was original factory.  And while you're under the hood, use your flashlight and look for signs that any rodents have nested under there.

Remove the outside appliance covers and use your flashlight to look for mud dauber nests in the water heater compartment, the furnace exhaust tube, and the fridge compartment.  I checked these but one nest was so deep into a dark area of the water heater that without a flashlight, it wasn't visible.  I found it when I turned it on and went out to check the flame color.  

One thing I haven't done yet (am a little afraid to but it's mine now so doesn't matter) is does the fridge work on all power sources.  I know this one works on AC.  Haven't checked it yet on propane and DC.  Wish me luck.

My biggest mistake was that it was so clean and pretty that I assumed the previous owner had maintained it well and all the systems did work.  Stupid me.  Lesson learned.  Had I done all this beforehand, I would have dickered harder on the price.

Good luck and best wishes!

Added: if there is a generator, don't just turn it on. Turn it on and run it under a load; does it work with the house AC running? IMO, the only point of a generator is to be able to run the air conditioner. Actually, I dislike generators, they're noisy. I'd rather go someplace where AC isn't needed or just sit outside under a shade tree but there it is.

^^I have my doubts, but one of my darts had a 2jet, so possible I guess (that was a 71, I bought in 87, but it did LOOK factory)

Any 87 Dodge 3500 van will likely need mechanical attention so take a mechanic with you for a check, or take it to a shop and ask for a "used car inspection" of the major systems. 

It's not that the price ($5,200) is excessively high if all the internal house systems work. Get them checked (propane and water) for proper operation. Put water in the system and check the pump, look under the cushions (where the pump and lines are) for line leaks.  

Plug the van into shorepower (ac) and check the outlets. Try to find the converter/charger to see if it is charging (likely the converter is original and they are junk, put that on your update list SOON). Then check the DC operation.

If all of the systems and appliances (fridg cold? Dometic recall?) work, and there's no obvious window or roof leaks, then you can't go very wrong making an offer. (Of course the mechanicals have to be good). It may not be quite worth $5,200 due to age and no fuel injection however if you want a class B, they are rare.

Frame rust - Dodges are sketchy on front end rust you know, search these forums for that topic or just google "Dodge van frame rust".

Good luck!

Update:
Ended up passing on this Class B. Too old. Tires were dry rotted, steering box bad. Seller wanted too much. Bob is right, stick with a Van! I will be keeping my Ford van, but am still looking for a nice Express van.

Stargazer said:
IMHO, the mechanical issues come first!  I bought a 2011 Class B two months ago.  It looked and ran so good that I didn't get too deep into checking out the RV systems.  What I should have done before deciding on a price, though (take a ladder and a flashlight):

Remove the anode rod on the water heater and look for scale.  Also crawl underneath and look at the fresh water tank (it's the white one).  When I realized how crudded up they were, I did some serious flushing and ended up flushing scale through the system, clogging up the water feed to the toilet and all the faucet screens.  Had to remove the toilet to get the line clear.

Check the dates on ALL tires.  I looked at only the rears (2 yrs old); the fronts were 6 yrs old.

Take a ladder and look at the roof, especially the seals around everything.  I had looked UP on the inside for signs of leaks.  Nothing.  But later I found water stains on the wall near the floor
under the sofa bed.  Turns out there had apparently been a leak around the AC and it had been resealed but it would have been nice to know beforehand.

Check battery(s) dates.  One of mine had no date, the other was original factory.  And while you're under the hood, use your flashlight and look for signs that any rodents have nested under there.

Remove the outside appliance covers and use your flashlight to look for mud dauber nests in the water heater compartment, the furnace exhaust tube, and the fridge compartment.  I checked these but one nest was so deep into a dark area of the water heater that without a flashlight, it wasn't visible.  I found it when I turned it on and went out to check the flame color.  

One thing I haven't done yet (am a little afraid to but it's mine now so doesn't matter) is does the fridge work on all power sources.  I know this one works on AC.  Haven't checked it yet on propane and DC.  Wish me luck.

My biggest mistake was that it was so clean and pretty that I assumed the previous owner had maintained it well and all the systems did work.  Stupid me.  Lesson learned.  Had I done all this beforehand, I would have dickered harder on the price.

Good luck and best wishes!

Added:  if there is a generator, don't just turn it on.  Turn it on and run it under a load; does it work with the house AC running?  IMO, the only point of a generator is to be able to run the air conditioner.  Actually, I dislike generators, they're noisy. I'd rather go someplace where AC isn't needed or just sit outside under a shade tree but there it is.
WOW! Excellent advice Stagazer--ty!

highdesertranger said:
Quadrajet on a Dodge?  highdesertranger

I doubted that too, till I learned (from somebody here?) that Chrysler in an act of desparation did indeed replace their junky Thermoquad with a Q-Jet for a couple years or so. I have never personally seen it, but it made sense.
Did I miss mention of mileage?
From the sounds of it this B will be a major mechanical project. If you are up to that, it can be made nice.

from: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5186609

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I have read the q-jet is extremely reliable once tuned properly and also a good carb to use for 4 wheeling. what I've read is people saying it works almost as good as the truck avenger and better than whatever 4wd carb that edelbrock came out with. can't remember the name. I had a q-jet on my old 318. never gave me an issue the short time I had it."[/font]

Another forum: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech/36511-ram-van-4-barrel-carb-fuel-problem.html

Ram van, 4 barrel carb fuel problem
I have a 1987 dodge ram b350 van 5.9 liter engine and a 4 barrel carb. It seems to have a fuel problem, The van starts up easy when fuel is poured into the carb, runs rough but better when the choke is at 3/4 on. If I turn the engine off and try to start again it wont start unless fuel is manually poured into the carb or the gas pettle is pumped continusely. I have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, has new fuel in tank, rebuilt carb but something may be out of adjustment. I was wondering if there is a diagram or manual that i can get online to show how the carb is assembled. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks for your time.

answer:
I believe that you have a Rochester Quadrajet 4bbl on that 360?
Did you rebuild the carb and did you use a rebuild kit?
Sounds like you have a problem with the float or needle and seat and it's starving for gas. The needle and seat is located right after the fuel filter inlet inside the carb. the carb is relativly easy to rebuild but some parts can be installed incorrectly. Did you have this problem before the rebuild?

http://www.carburetion.com/diags/4mv.jpg

Ballenxj said:
I doubted that too, till I learned (from somebody here?) that Chrysler in an act of desparation did indeed replace their junky Thermoquad with a Q-Jet for a couple years or so. I have never personally seen it, but it made sense.
Did I miss mention of mileage?
From the sounds of it this B will be a major mechanical project. If you are up to that, it can be made nice.
I dont think it was desperation,  just what work best for the engine. Dodge always borrow parts from both ford and GM's.
I had a 70 torino with a 429 Cobra jet and it had a Rochestor Quadrajet carburetor from the factory.

Here's the tech
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_2.htm