Naming of vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current van is Waldo, as in "where's Waldo"
The previous was "Thirsty" for love of gas pumps.
Before that was" the van from hell".
It followed "Lurch" ( tall, awkward...kinda like the Addams family butler)

The idea of naming vehicles has always seemed a bit lame to me, and most people don't do it. But I have recently come to learn that LOTS of people name their camper vans. It doesn't seem so lame, because the camper vans are like land boats and it's pretty much expected that a boat be named. So, I asked my family member and she does not like the idea, she responded the way I would have responded if it was about naming a regular car. I kind of think I should do it though, so I'm going to ask...

How does a person come up with a name? Do they just name the thing when they get it before it's built out, do they wait until it shows some actual character? When I name pets, I don't just give them names, I wait for clues from them as to what their names should be (in a couple of cases the clues didn't come, so I had a cat I just called Kitty Cat and a ferret I just called Ferret).
Mine is named after my partner who passed away in 2018. I've been traveling the country for a long time with frequent trips coast to coast but he never was able to make the troops with me. I got my van in Feb of 2021 and it only served natural to name her Lenne in his honor. So even though he's no longer in his skin suit, we still get to see the country together along with my 2 pups 🤗

I only named one Van which later became mine. I was a kid and Dad was still using it. He was always working on it carrying tools such as grease guns and the like. And when he slept in it his snoring was well amplified.

At the time a comedian named Buddy Hackett was in a play with a most unusual name. I adapted that name for my Dad's Van :p

"The Roar of the Snore & the Smell of the Gear Grease".

The idea of naming vehicles has always seemed a bit lame to me, and most people don't do it. But I have recently come to learn that LOTS of people name their camper vans. It doesn't seem so lame, because the camper vans are like land boats and it's pretty much expected that a boat be named. So, I asked my family member and she does not like the idea, she responded the way I would have responded if it was about naming a regular car. I kind of think I should do it though, so I'm going to ask...

How does a person come up with a name? Do they just name the thing when they get it before it's built out, do they wait until it shows some actual character? When I name pets, I don't just give them names, I wait for clues from them as to what their names should be (in a couple of cases the clues didn't come, so I had a cat I just called Kitty Cat and a ferret I just called Ferret).
I have named a few of my cars throughuot my life. But, I spent some time thinking of a name for my newest rig. Her name is SLEEP-BISCUIT.

I only named 1 airplane, a 1938 Taylorcraft Model B, the 14th one made & delivered to Kellog airport Christmas eve '38. Flew around Kalamazoo till '41 sold to ayoung man in OK who hung it in a barn & went to WW2 but didn't return so it hung there 50 when a guy foung it & restored it to perfect condition. If you can love a machine I loved Aunt B. I named her that from the Andy Griffith show as Aunt B was a Taylor, old but in great shape, thrifty (3.5 GPH & cruied 95) graceful & we went sky dancing all the time, a real sweetheart. I learned in a'40 on ski's just like it but ragged out. John Glen learned in a '38 Tcraft & many records were set. One flew from NYC to Miami non stop on floats hauling extra fuel. 2 brothers planned to flew one 30 days w/o landing but were put down on day 14 by a thunderstorm. Duane Cole did his famous airshows in a clipped wing 90 HP '38 Tcraft & did his car top landings. Aunt B is now flying in Brazil. My last plane was the sister ship to the on Buddy Holly died in, a 1st year '47 Beech Mod 35 Vtail Bonanza 22 serial #s apart. The one Buddy, Ritchie & the Big Bobber died in is still on the registry. Easiest plane I ever flew. Cruised 185 @ 20 squared on 10 GPH, had an aux tank so a 1000 mile range, hardly ever had to use your feet when flying unlike a tail dragger. Had a throw over yoke & passenger pedels that laid flat on the floor, air conditioning, an ice tray in the ceiling with a flap you could open & worked well. Hardest part was getting it down to 100 mph to drop the gear & flaps before landing. I have 2 1000' STOL airstrips on the farm & it would land & T/O in 500' on a hot day but the early ones had chromemoly gear & wear made to T/O & land on grass. I miss flying the most. I had a very remote cabin on the west end ofthe U.P., 12 hrs driving, just over 3 by Tcraft & under 2 by Bonanza & much more fun, just flew straight line over Lake Michigan most of the trip. Sorry if I bored you!

I named several vehicles, some were easy, others not so much…. My current build took several weeks to find its name, I call my ProMaster “Piper” and yeah it’s a lot like naming a boat.

Nine years with my Promaster and 'Van' covers it unless I am trying to be cute then its 'Vanborghini' (Italian-Made).

I used to have personalized plates on my car that read, "LIBR8" (Liberate) because I value freedom above all else. So when I got the van in 2020, I called it "The Liberator" (because it enables freedom, obviously.) Someone pointed out that sounds more like something you'd name a vibrator. lol. So, I may still be working on it. :LOL:

I used to have personalized plates on my car that read, "LIBR8" (Liberate) because I value freedom above all else. So when I got the van in 2020, I called it "The Liberator" (because it enables freedom, obviously.) Someone pointed out that sounds more like something you'd name a vibrator. lol. So, I may still be working on it. :LOL:
If you very slightly loosen a motor mount it could live up to both thoughts.

Not recommending this.

When I had my vans I used a complicated naming process. It was tricky but then everyone started calling them by name.

Gold van
Green van

Was glad I gave them different names because it could have become confusing.