My new (used) fridge!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy

Reaction score
Saw it on Craigslist today, and in Abbotsford where I'm at for the moment, and snapped it up. Sure, $500, but 1/2 of what I'd pay new.. and would probably have to add shipping to the bill.

It's an Engel MR40F Amazon Figured I'd give it a shot. My old Waeco, duct taped & baling wired together, is getting tired.. and a good buddy of mine is in need of something like that. Doesn't have a 'cooling section, just one big MOFO, but that part is larger than the one in the Waeco, and I basically just freeze stuff. IMG_0064.JPGIMG_0065.JPGIMG_0066.JPGIMG_0067.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    99.6 KB
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    116.7 KB
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    85.4 KB
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    72.5 KB
Man! That's on my wish list. Nice unit!

great fridge you scored. I have the same model, 2 of them actually. my first one is going on 5 years old. they have always worked flawlessly even in 100 degree temps. if you set the dial to 2 it will freeze your beer. it hardly uses any power also. some complain about the noise. it doesn't bother me but does make a little noise, I'll put up with the little noise for the little amount of electrical power it consumes. highdesertranger

Willy, if you don't mind my asking, why do you like the portable, top loading, 'ice cooler' frig/freezer (as opposed to built in and/or front loading)? I'm trying to learn and will have some frig decisions coming in July/August. Oh, and nice score :cool:
Thanks, Spiff

There are a number of reasons why I prefer them.

First is efficiency. Every time I open it up, the cool air stays 'pooled' at the bottom. When you open up a fridge style unit the cold air starts pouring out.

The second is portability. I change my setup fairly often and a free standing unit is easy to transfer.

Third, I can stick it where it's cold in the winter (cab of my truck), or where it's nice 'n cool in the summer. I used almost NO electricity this past winter keeping my food cold/frozen, which would have been a different story were I to have a fridge instead.

Next winter I plan to head southside for a bit and would have a canopy/camperette instead of the camper I have now. Won't be any problems re. removing a fridge and re-installing it in the 'vacation' rig. Also, due to different usage scenarios, I tend to think that the chest coolers are built somewhat more robustly, which makes for a big positive in my books. ..Willy. oh.. forgot to add that it's no problem using it as a deep freeze, can make block ice for other purposes too, whereas a fridge is generally set up to stay above freezing in the main holding area and only has a dinky little freezer section.

I don't know what makes me more jealous. Your fridge score, or the fact you are in Abbotsford. Been there, liked it.
People were pretty friendly and the area is great.
Good stuff Willy.
-Bill-

You're welcome and.. ABBOTSFORD SUXSUXSUX! Can't wait to get outta here and up into the mountains. ..Willy.

Latest posts