My New Renogy Panel and Controller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But after that conversation the bean counter will shriek:
"12 gauge instead of 14, that's cost us another nickle so we'll have to rise the price by $25!!"

Then the lawyer will jump up on his desk and scream at the top of his lungs:
"But what about the liability for the extra run, have we done any safety testing!!?? We'll have to change the warnings on all the packaging--that'll cost ya!!"

Then the OSHA guy will give them a ticket:
"Your workers gloves aren't thick enough to handle 12 gauge wire--safety hazard, we have to shut down the factory!"

Modern business is anything but simple!
Bob

The problem with longer wires is the voltage drop due to resistance of the wire. an enterprising owner could measure the volt/amps and calculate the size of wire needed for the distance. It becomes a simple task of making an extension cord. Renogy does not want the liability, and we can't fault them for that.

Go to the hardware and buy a 10 AWG extension cord. You can strip the ends or put male/ female ends on the controller and panel for easy hook up. It would also help to move the controller near the panels for less line loss.

My first portable had 25 ft lead to the panel. my second was 50 ft. The difference was night and day when it came time to avoid shadows.

akrvbob said:
But after that conversation the bean counter will shriek: ...
Then the marketing guy will explain "Our research of stock brokers in NY city say it won't sell"

Been there, done that, didn't get a tee shirt  :p

One possible solution would be to sell the panels with pigtails (like permanently mounted solar panels) and let the user add an extension.  Renogy could even sell extension cables of different lengths of the appropriate cable size.

-- Spiff

This is about having who knows how many shipping containers of these thing they have in stock needing to be sold, before any changes can be made to the packing and accessories ...

Gadget