My heart is breaking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owl

Reaction score
   My best friend was picking up a trailer last week she was going to get ready. The old folks she bought the trailer from had a stray dog around they knew nothing about, The dog was skinny and had a bloated stomach. They only knew his name was Major. She took the dog wjth her hoping to return him to health and find a good home. She took him to her vet who told her he had advanced liver disfunction. They made him as comfortable as they could. Last night was bad. She took him to the vet today and they had to put him down. She called me from the parking lot absolutely devastated. She cried and I cried. If only I could have been there to hold and comfort. I don't know how to explain my grief.

Aw, owl...many of us are dog lovers, some of us are rescuers/rehabbers and even more of us live with our own rescued dogs. Know we can relate, completely. No need to explain your grief.<br /><br />In cases like your friends, I have to find peace in the fact that dog's last bit of time, no matter how short, was in loving hands, with warmth and a full belly. That's what gets me through the tough cases.<br /><br />Please, thank your friend for doing the best she could for the pup. In this case the liver disfunction may have been related to neglect. The poor dog could have suffered for a long time without your friends help.

I totally agree with Cyndi. The poor pup in his last days did not have to die alone. He was with friends. Liver disease takes a long time to get that bad. I know because my own doggie had to be pts for the same reason.&nbsp;RIP&nbsp;little angel. &lt;3 (((hugs))) for your friend.

Your friend has a good heart and helped the dog make his life transition to the Rainbow Bridge. &nbsp;Bless her, and you. &nbsp;That dog did not have to die alone and in despair (yes we know they do have feelings). &nbsp;He was surrounded by love and care.

The dog was so lucky it didn't die alone. I'm sorry you can't be there to help.

&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks everyone, It's the not being there that makes this hurt so much. That's the life we chose though, right?

in the blog for Bernice Ende , lady long rider she talks about finding her dog Claire, in a ditch with her litter mate all ready dead and frozen , she scooped up the pup and nursed her back to health, Claire is now and old dog, but last year she found another pup with a plastic bag stuck on it;s neck, she again scoop her up and brought her to the first vet she found and was nursing her back to health when she crashed and ended up dying it was so heart breaking to read, on the same journey she lost her main riding horse to a freak accident, the horse a retired "good for nothing thoroughbred" on her way to the slaughter house....., she renamed Honor, the journey shows you what time , love and dedication can do to an animal and a human soul... tell your friend thank you for showing this poor creature love , comfort and companionship in his last days on this earth, she didn't turn a blind eye but opened her heart and WALLET, to do the right thing, stories like yours just renews my faith in people! thank you!

Its such a heartbreaking painful thing to have to deal with. It almost makes you not want to love them so much, because of the pain of loosing them. But i guess its the bad part that goes along with all the good. The years of faithfulness, love, loyalty, fun you get with your animal (Or hope you get). I know what its like. It just sucks. Hurts for a long time after. Peace to you and understanding.

Shawn.

Owl- on my first cross- country trip, I lost 2 close relatives within 8 weeks. I asked myself the same questions about being on the road. At the time, I felt terrible about being so far away. Did a lot of grieving over the phone, first time in a flying J parking lot in Wyoming, then 2 months later in the driveway of a fellow vandweller in the PNW. Looking back, I am so glad I had gone, and would do it the same way again. I was just where I was supposed to be.

You have such a good heart, as does your friend. I can tell you one thing about being on the road, though. For every hug missed, they come around 10-fold at gatherings and at random moments in truck stops and WM parking lots. I'm saving you a couple.

&nbsp; I know Major got lots of hugs before he went. I want the same for all of you. Thank you all for understanding. Michael

Painful flashbacks.<br /><br /><br />Prayers and smoke sent.

I always leave food out for stray cats or whatever little creature is out there willing to eat it. I know it's frowned upon in some areas, but it makes me happy knowing something is benefitting from my leftover meals and doesn't have to go hungry that night.<br /><br />You did a very kind act and I am sure you will be blessed all the days of your life.