Murphy Bed/Table In Cargo Van... Please Help!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Born2Explore said:
After doing a little research, I think this lock will be the best! Same style, but better quality and heavier duty. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BD8JT0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I33G1W79Z7ZQB&colid=2QTYBEQUTDJFU
I think I would use two to hold the bed up, and two to hold the table to the bed.

And was thinking of using two of these to support the weight of the table when it is folded out. http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinge...-shelf-hinges/hinged-shelf-support-heavy-duty

Then using a piano hinge (as suggested above) for both the bed and table.

Thoughts?

I tried the first style latch you posted to keep my bed in locked whenever folded up and it didn't last very long. I just have a barrel latch now.

Chrisbx7 said:
I tried the first style latch you posted to keep my bed in locked whenever folded up and it didn't last very long. I just have a barrel latch now.

Does the barrel latch rattle when driving at all?

Born2Explore said:
Does the barrel latch rattle when driving at all?

Mine doesn't because I made the fit pretty tight. The one's you were thinking about will work if there isn't any tension on the latch

Did you ever get your murphy bed done, or did I just miss it?

closeanuf said:
Did you ever get your murphy bed done, or did I just miss it?

We actually just bought all of the supplies/hardware this past weekend. So I will be starting the build this week! This is definitely not the budget build... but it was $304 total for everything at Home Depot. That includes supplies to make 3 drawers under the bed, paint, wood, hinges, screws, latches, etc.

Will post as everything progresses! Grateful to everyone who gave advice! I think it’s going to work amazingly for our needs!

Been working hard on the build for the last 3 days. Will hopefully have the bed platform mounted after work today!

Here is a sneak peak. Before I could finish the bed and seal off the space under it, I had to design, build, and paint the drawer on the end. And I also had to cut out the holes for our under bed cabinets.

008e9a4d85f93cbc094d7f773e9c4abf.jpg

Remember, I am an engineer, not a carpenter! So my craftsmanship may not be the best, but it all works fine so far!

Your van is HUGE! You have lots of room for contingency alternatives until you get it all figured out for good.

Working with wood is a whole more forgiving than with metal or anything else really. Andl the strength of materials is surprisingly robust too. You don't need to be a stinkin' carpenter: you are doing a great job!

I'll be following your Murphy bed process, because that's on my short list of things to do coming up real soon.

breeze said:
Your van is HUGE! You have lots of room for contingency alternatives until you get it all figured out for good.

Working with wood is a whole more forgiving than with metal or anything else really. Andl  the strength of materials is surprisingly robust too. You don't need to be a stinkin' carpenter: you are doing a great job!

I'll be following your Murphy bed process, because that's on my short list of things to do coming up real soon.

Thanks!! Follow the build on this thread... https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Van-Tour-and-Modification-Thread

Let me know when you start building yours so I can follow along!

Latest posts