MPPTs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbracco

Reaction score
Purchased a 20A MPPT. Unfortunately, I am past the date for return. I have 2-100 W solar panels. Will this work or do I need a larger amp? If so, can I somehow use 2 -20 A MPPT's? Help!

The 100 watt panel will produce up to 5.5 amp each, you should be OK.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Also, with an MPPT charge controller you can wire the panels in series and increase the voltage rather than the amperage. So you should end up at around 6 amps at 36 volts.

(Also, this thread should probably be in the solar/electrical category rather than the "other" category.)

On your second question, yes you can use two charge controllers on the same battery bank, if you needed to.

Yes, wire the panels in series, and feed the higher voltage into the controller. It should be rated for more than about 50 volts input to do this. 

Most (probably all) 20A MPPT controllers will easily handle two 100 watt panels in series.

I hope all of you who responded to my questions can read this. I'll have to go back and read instructions. I'm sorry I placed my questions in the wrong category. Thank you all for your responses to me! I really appreciate it and feel more comfortable moving forward. 
Will be a while before the build is complete but it's getting there. Thanks again!