Mppt controller under $100

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At our place in Ar.we had 5 epever and 4 makeskyblue.The makeskyblue was a much better controller all the way around.

wayne49 said:
The Epever that I am familiar with is a 40A blind, deaf, and dumb (aka headless) unit that requires a separate human interface unit. Like an inexpensive laptop that comes without a display and keyboard.

I thought that the unit mentioned in the thread was similar, since it seemed to need purchasing extra kit to use the full functionality.

Both the Renogy Rover 40 amp and the Rich Solar 40 amp MPPT units require no extra kit.
Yeah I know the epever units you are talking about. I believe they are more tailored to off grid homesteaders. Lots of PV input voltage and big heat sinks also as you'd probably have a bunch of them one adapter to rule them all wouldnt be too big a deal.

I set up my 20A epever just using the buttons. But I'm not using lithium. The defaults were fine. Like I say it MIGHT be doable with them without the adapter I finally bought but it would deffo be less hassle. The adapter is worth the 25 bucks or so in my mind.

Im planning to buy a parcel of land as a homestead sort of fairly soon and I'll either probably go with epever or the 48v renogy all in one unit. I'd be open to trying other ones but now I know the ins and outs of this brand by now.

The 48v renogy unit I would only go with for an off grid cabin because of all the features. I wouldnt put one in a vehicle unless it was a bus with lots of room and roof space for an obscene amount of solar.

The renogy MPPT controllers and rebranded ones as rich solar seem solid. I have rich solar panels and they've outperformed my expectations.

The only thing that I dislike about some of the less expensive charge controllers is the slow rate of cycling.

Ya, I know. I would love to have the best of everything but it's just not a reality for some of us. The less I spend on the controller, the faster I will be able to afford a better battery. It will still be better to be able to run both panels and will be way more efficient than the pwm I have now. I'm grateful it all works at all. I love having the fridge. I went thru a 3 day overcast and raining spell that yielded almost no charge at all. I think this new controller will help.

Plus I need fans, I have good ones but keeping them charged has been a real challenge. So far my baudens 8ah power station is good for that but only if I can keep it charged.

Kristalsdreamtrip said:
It will still be better to be able to run both panels and will be way more efficient than the pwm I have now.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised just how much more efficient an MPPT controller is over a PWM controller. Regardless of which one you wind up with if it's at all possible and within the PV voltage input of the MPPT controller I would advise to wire those panels in series. It amazes me how much output I get from mine on cloudy days.

You can get different opinions from different sources.....

A PWM controller operates at a relatively constant harvesting efficiency regardless of the size of the array. A PWM controller is less expensive that a MPPT, so is a more economical choice for a small system. A MPPT controller is much less efficient in low power applications.

► Comparing the Two

If maximizing charging capacity were the only factor considered when specifying a solar controller, everyone would use a MPPT controller. But the two technologies are different, each with it’s own advantages. The decision depends on site conditions, system components, size of array and load, and finally the cost for a particular solar power system.

SOURCE:
https://www.solarcraft.net/resources/articles/pwm-vs-mppt-solar-charge-controllers

But my 2cents....when I go over 200watts I'll use one of my MPPT controllers.

Going to overpaneling, I made a bit of an error in planning my system and have a Victron 75/15 on a 385 watt 24v panel, which is a fine input rating but the 12v output is also limited to 15 amps.

Hopefully I’m good. We shall see.

The Rich Solar units do externally resemble Renogy units, but there are internal differences, it's not just different colored buttons. I have both brands in use. Both are accessible to directly poke and prod.

The Renogy Commander was just a rebranded Epever Tracer A model. The current Tracers are B models, unless Epever updated the line. The A's can't use the B's remote display/controls, it was a major internal upgrade.