moving into a camper in a week (cali resident)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello all! husband and i are moving in to a camper after my family decided to kick us out without notice. Though we decided to live alternatively 2 years prior. we are a young couple (early/mid 20s) we know this is how we want to live, without a doubt. We personally don't know anyone who lives or has lived this way (besides youtube people) so I  have a few questions that i have not found the answer to, and if anyone out there who could help us out, it would be greatly appreciated!! I live in California..so how would we fill out our taxes? do i mention the lifestyle or find a friend to let us use their address?? i know we can get  a p.o. box to receive mail but what would drivers license have to say? this is the only thing I'm concerned about and idk how to address it..wow that was a pun lol. thanks everyone, we are excited with our new stage in our lives :)

From my experiences don't be too worried about the small stuff like taxes and such concentrate on getting out forget about the Govt. They will find you and by that time you will have an answer. Just go do it

Welcome Ilovelucygoose92 to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. lots of questions on a short intro, there are several threads on getting an address and residency. do a search. CA is an expensive state to live in. I would start new threads and ask questions one at a time to get better results. lots of great people here with lots of experience. highdesertranger

Unless you have to file quarterly for some reason or have an alternative tax year you don't have to sweat the tax stuff yet. If you don't know what I was just talking about you don't have to worry about tax stuff yet. You have a few months. By the way if you get a refund check you can have it direct deposited so address is even less important.

I'm only guessing because it's been years since I lived in Cali, but you don't need a new address for your DL for 30 days most likely. Since you won't have a new address then you could probably slide longer. If the break with family wasn't so bad that you will no longer be talking then you could possibly use their address at least for now.

You have some wiggle room on the issues that you mentioned so you have time to get it in order without having to rush off and just do something to have it done. Take a little breathing space to get yourselves somewhat situated so far as actual living arrangements for the moment. Sorry you got kicked out btw. Been there and done that many, many years ago.

This is a great place to read and learn. Also to ask questions. Best wishes. :)

anewbiewannabe said:
Unless you have to file quarterly for some reason or have an alternative tax year you don't have to sweat the tax stuff yet.  If you don't know what I was just talking about you don't have to worry about tax stuff yet.  You have a few months.  By the way if you get a refund check you can have it direct deposited so address is even less important.

I'm only guessing because it's been years since I lived in Cali, but you don't need a new address for your DL for 30 days most likely.  Since you won't have a new address then you could probably slide longer.  If the break with family wasn't so bad that you will no longer be talking then you could possibly use their address at least for now.

You have some wiggle room on the issues that you mentioned so you have time to get it in order without having to rush off and just do something to have it done.  Take a little breathing space to get yourselves somewhat situated so far as actual living arrangements for the moment.  Sorry you got kicked out btw.  Been there and done that many, many years ago.

This is a great place to read and learn. Also to ask questions.  Best wishes. :)
thanks for the advice! i appreciate it. and yes i hope after we move out, things cool down and we can use my family's address..fingers crossed!!

wagoneer said:
From my experiences don't be too worried about the small stuff like taxes and such concentrate on getting out forget about the Govt. They will find you and by that time you will have an answer. Just go 

thanks for that awesome response! haha we will move into our camper on 9/20 :) and you are right, no need to worry about the minor details!