Movies from a hard drive on a 12 volt HD TV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timotb

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this subject of powering TVs.....

I have a 12 volt cheap, no brand name, tv in my Sprinter RV.  No HDMI or USB in ports. It does have RCA jacks for video and audio in.  I have been looking for replacement 12 volt TVs with a DVD and USB-in port that can read MP4, AVI, MKV movie formats directly from a USB external hard drive.   No such luck.  The USB's on most tvs are limited to just reading JPG and something else that is useless.

My next thought is to replace the TV with a tv that has an HDMI-in port and connect a Media player that can read  MP4, AVI and MKV formats from that hard drive.  Not so easy as most media players require 5 volts and 2 amps power.  Transformers can be found that go from 12 to 5 volts but put out 3 amps.....no good, it will cook the media player.

Anyone crack this problem of how to watch movies directly from a hard drive on a 12 volt tv?  I've read a few posts here that dance around this problem, but no easy solution.

Attachments

• 2017-07-13 20.00.49.jpg
    2017-07-13 20.00.49.jpg
    1.8 MB
I picked up a regular 19" on amazon for $70. has it all. The difference in efficiency is miniscule running it off a $35 inverter. It doesn't even begin to make a dent on the battery.

Man, thats a NICE little 'camper'.

:p 

Um anyway, if a media player requires USB 5v at 2a and you hook up a supply that does 5v at 3a you will be fine. It means the supply can handle up to 3 amps (or whatever)...  the player will pull the 2 amps and you will be ok there.

Of course the connectors and polarity have to all match up, but assuming its all USB, then the polarities and voltages are standardized.

As far as a media player, have you looked at setting up your computer with the USB hard drive and media files as a media server?

There are a few ways to do this. You can buy HDMI to composite converters, they are not expensive at all.

Or you could buy a new Roku box and set it up with the free Plex app, install Plex on your computer, and stream to the box as long as you have an internal wireless network. The Roku needs to see a wifi network with at least some internet to be able to setup and operate.

Of course there are some other options, the best and most expensive is to buy a car-pc, sometimes called a carputer.....maybe you should look at those. Be ready to spend some money. $1500 will get you in the ballpark.

If you have the desire to tinker, you can buy a small linux box or stick-pc and use it as a media pc...they all have at least one USB input port, and usually an HDMI output that would feed the HDMI converter, which would then feed the signal over composite to the TV.

You may lose some resolution with any converter, don't expect the quality to be as good, but its definitely acceptable.

And finally, a new 120v TV with the appropriate HDMI input or possibly a USB input can be made to work from an inverter.

Lots of options.

bardo said:
I picked up a regular 19" on amazon for $70. has it all. The difference in efficiency is miniscule running it off a $35 inverter. It doesn't even begin to make a dent on the battery.

Now that's an idea.   What make and model TV are you using and what size inverter?

tx2sturgis said:
Man, thats a NICE little 'camper'.

:p 

Um anyway, if a media player requires USB 5v at 2a and you hook up a supply that does 5v at 3a you will be fine. It means the supply can handle up to 3 amps (or whatever)...  the player will pull the 2 amps and you will be ok there.

Of course the connectors and polarity have to all match up, but assuming its all USB, then the polarities and voltages are standardized.

As far as a media player, have you looked at setting up your computer with the USB hard drive and media files as a media server?

There are a few ways to do this. You can buy HDMI to composite converters, they are not expensive at all.

Or you could buy a new Roku box and set it up with the free Plex app, install Plex on your computer, and stream to the box as long as you have an internal wireless network. The Roku needs to see a wifi network with at least some internet to be able to setup and operate.

Of course there are some other options, the best and most expensive is to buy a car-pc, sometimes called a carputer.....maybe you should look at those. Be ready to spend some money. $1500 will get you in the ballpark.

If you have the desire to tinker, you can buy a small linux box or stick-pc and use it as a media pc...they all have at least one USB input port, and usually an HDMI output that would feed the HDMI converter, which would then feed the signal over composite to the TV.

You may lose some resolution with any converter, don't expect the quality to be as good, but its definitely acceptable.

And finally, a new 120v TV with the appropriate HDMI input or possibly a USB input can be made to work from an inverter.

Lots of options.

All great ideas.   I like the last one the best so far.   Not sure why the manufacturers cant' set this up right in the first place

timotb said:
Now that's an idea.   What make and model TV are you using and what size inverter?

Mine is like a cobra 400w, but literally any inverter should do. I think TV is 36w. 

this is the TV but amazon has since doubled the price
https://www.amazon.com/Element-720p...F8&qid=1500513925&sr=8-2&keywords=element+19"

but the point is the same...running off an inverter is not some big killer when you're talking a real world 20w or so. tenths of an amp or so difference.

But also the roku boxes...I had a western digital that didnt need an internet connection to watch of your external hard drive...but its more power draw.

I have a Majestic 12v TV. it has more inputs then I know what to do with. it has 2 HDMI's, VGA, SCART, USB, and a few more. by hard drive do you mean a stand only hard drive? mine plays anything that's on my Lap top. oh yeah it has a built in DVD player. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I have a Majestic 12v TV.  it has more inputs then I know what to do with.  it has 2 HDMI's,  VGA,  SCART,  USB,  and a few more.  by hard drive do you mean a stand only hard drive?  mine plays anything that's on my Lap top.  oh yeah it has a built in DVD player.  highdesertranger

The hard drive is connected via a USB and is loaded with movies in AVI, MP4 and MKV formats.   Most tvs wont play those directly from the USB

timotb said:
Most tvs wont play those directly from the USB

No expert here but I don't see how they could unless it's a smart tv, maybe?

ok I looked it up the TV itself supports, AVI, MPEG 1/2, MPEG 4, WMV, Real Media, Flash, Quick Time, ASF, Matroska Video, DixV, TS Stream. don't ask me what any of that means but it says the TV will play them. all I know if it plays on the lap top it plays on the TV. highdesertranger

slow2day said:
No expert here but I don't see how they could unless it's a smart tv, maybe?

The smart tvs with that feature will normally have some kind of simple file browser and on-screen navigation of the folders on the external drive to locate the files you want to play.

You use the arrow keys on the remote to move from folder to folder and file to file.

HDR, I'm guessing that your tv will play the movies from a USB stick or hard drive...

Where did you get the tv, if I may?

Very interested now!

my TV most definitely plays movies, jpg's, etc from USB stick.

I got mine off of Amazon. go to the MAJESTIC USA website they have a dealer finder. a lot of Marine places sell them and some RV places. they market to the marine industry primarily and RV's 2nd. they are native 12v but come with a 120 or 240 volt adaptor. they are built to stand up in the marine environment. highdesertranger