Move over, tuna and salmon pouches!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unchained

Reaction score
I recently discovered Libby's 'Seasoned Beef Crumbles' and 'Spicy Seasoned Beef Crumbles' 6oz pouches. $2.65 at Walmart, but only $1.80 at the local Big Lots store. Not exactly cheap on the face of it, but like tuna or salmon pouches:

It is shelf stable, can be stored for many months and is all meat (no juice). The pouch means it is very light and packable compared to cans, perfect for vandwellers.. As it is a 'heat and eat' already cooked deal, it can be thrown in with beans for burritos, made into tacos, added to rice and veggies, ramen recipes, mac n cheese, soups/stews, spaghetti sauce... many possibilities.

Last night, 1 pouch of the spicy beef made 2 people a light dinner. We added only flour tortillas and grated cheese (being lazy), so 2 small tacos each. Had we added refried beans, onion and lettuce/tomato, it would have been a full meal for 2 on the cheap.

I love tuna and salmon, but sometimes I just want something beefy. Also, adding tuna to spaghetti sauce just doesn't cut it for me. :rolleyes:

Hints: The non spicy variety tastes like plain browned ground beef, so add onion, garlic and/ or preferred spices when heating. The 'spicy' is like mild tacos- flavorful but in no way hot, so break out the cayenne or 'Dave's Insanity Sauce' if you want your meal to bite back :D

It's packaged food, so pretty high. The full pouch has 840 milligrams, but will make 2 meals if you add to it, so 420mg per meal.

[Edited to correct grams to milligrams, sheesh!]

Libby's Spicy Seasoned Beef Crumbles:•Fully cooked
•Microwavable

Ingredients
Beef, Water, Flavoring, Contains 2% Or Less of Paprika, Beef Extract, Yeast Extract, Spices, Salt, Sugar.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 56 G
Servings Per Container 3
Amount Per Serving

Calories 100

Calories from Fat 35

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 G 6

Saturated Fat 2 G

Trans Fat 0 G

Cholesterol 35 Mg 12
Sodium 280 Mg 12
Total Carbohydrate 2 G 1

Dietary Fiber 0 G

Sugars 1 G

Protein 14 G
Vitamin A 0
Vitamin C 0
Calcium 0

(-) Information is currently not available for this nutrient.

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:**

** Percent Daily Values listed below are intended for adults and children over 4 years of age. Foods represented or purported to be for use by infants, children less than 4 years of age, pregnant women, or lactating women shall use the RDI's that are specified for the intended group provided by the FDA.

Calories:

Total Fat Less than 65g 80g
Sat. Fat Less than 20g 25g
Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg
Sodium Less than 2400mg 2400mg
Potassium 3500mg 3500mg
Total Carbohydrate 300mg 375mg
Dietary Fiber 25mg 30mg

Calories per gram:

Fat 9·Carbohydrate 4·Protein 4

yup....now I know why I buy fresh or make it!!!.......not that I want to live longer , I just dont want to die doubled over in pain!!!!!

Not everyone is always close to a store and some here do not have refrigeration. This is simply an alternative to canned or fast food, which are just as high (if not worse) in sodium. For myself, this will definitely be in my bug out bag and coming along the next time I take off to the middle of nowhere for some alone time.

ETA- Just checked a can of Progresso Clam Chowder. 1600mg sodium!

Thanks for this info Unchained... I have seen these in the store and wondered about them... I was trying to get up the courage to try them. Ground beef tends to be my favorite, so it would be great to add some shelf stable ground beef to my inventory.

In our Mexican food section of wal-mart they have this in the Rosarita brand also.

Latest posts