Mounting points for removeable furniture?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reducto

Reaction score
I'd like to mount my bed and shelves to the walls in a way that they can quickly be removed from the van. I'm thinking something along the lines of those heavy duty shelves that have tabs that fit into a hole and slide down to lock in place but I'm open to anything really. The goal is to be able to switch between travel mode and cargo mode with minimal effort.

Any suggestions?

I remember seeing a video on a commercial conversion that had rails in the floor where everything could be dropped down and held in place with one bolt but can't seem to find that one again.

Reducto said:
I'd like to mount my bed and shelves to the walls in a way that they can quickly be removed from the van. I'm thinking something along the lines of those heavy duty shelves that have tabs that fit into a hole and slide down to lock in place but I'm open to anything really. The goal is to be able to switch between travel mode and cargo mode with minimal effort.

Any suggestions?

I remember seeing a video on a commercial conversion that had rails in the floor where everything could be dropped down and held in place with one bolt but can't seem to find that one again.

The long rail systems are nice but they are also expensive.  There big advantage is for handling cargo loads that vary from load to load as to what needs to be tied down.

But your situation is different than that, you will be taking out and putting back into the same place the same objects time after time. So a more economical choice will be something along the lines of a "toggle draw catch".  Use an image search with those keywords. Here is a link to such an image search  https://www.google.com/search?q=tog...mfveAhXTCjQIHVu3AYEQ_AUIDygC&biw=1280&bih=599   There are many variations on them which is why I am not putting in a direct link.   But the essence is you have a fixed hook on the wall, that is the smaller piece, less obtrusive, in the interior. The bulkier part of the latch can remain on the furniture piece. You lift up a lever, put the hook end over the catch, then lower the lever and it locks in place with spring pressure. No doubt you have seen many of these catches over the years but just not thought about them for this type of purpose. However they do sometimes get used in the RV and automotive industry.

there are L-track pieces just a few nodes long, or even singles.

Nice to have a single standard, whatever it is.

Latest posts