More Prius ground clearance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was possible to lift the car from normal height up like that just the off road parts of a trip, that would be great. That would eliminate one of the biggest negatives about a prius camper.

If the ground clearance is defined by an axle measurement you would need larger diameter tires to get more clearance?

the only way to gain ground clearance is to install taller tires. on computer controlled vehicles this alone poses it own set of problems.

but......

if you want a long term reliable vehicle NEVER EVER lift a independent suspension vehicle. did I mention NEVER. lifting an independent suspension vehicle makes the vehicle a never ending headache. take my word I have lifted hundreds if not thousands of different vehicles independent and straight axle. DON'T DO IT. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the only way to gain ground clearance is to install taller tires.  on computer controlled vehicles this alone poses it own set of problems.

but......

if you want a long term reliable vehicle NEVER EVER lift a independent suspension vehicle.  did I mention NEVER.  lifting an independent suspension vehicle  makes the vehicle a never ending headache.  take my word I have lifted hundreds if not thousands of different vehicles independent and straight axle.  DON'T DO IT.  highdesertranger
That would be true if the Prius had a straight axle, but it has independent suspension, so an air lift could double the ground clearance. Check the link in the OP.

I did check the link. an air lift cannot double the ground clearance because nothing below the air bags get lifted so your lowest point is still your lowest point. technically your ground clearance is the same. believe me I know what I am talking about. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I did check the link.  an air lift cannot double the ground clearance because nothing below the air bags get lifted so your lowest point is still your lowest point.  technically your ground clearance is the same.  believe me I know what I am talking about.  highdesertranger
Height adjustable suspension does increase ground clearance, that's exactly what it does. Is it higher under all parts of the undercarriage, no but it keeps you from getting high centered on a BLM road. If you can lower it back to original specs for 99.9% of regular driving and only use it to get into camp site, it would be very valuable.

you just don't understand how bad this is for an independent suspension vehicle. if this would work why have the manufactures not employed it. this could make 4x4's lower for highway driving. what about the angles of the steering parts and the CV joints. also if you are still running P-rated tires they are not going to hang lifted or not. one hit or scrap in the wrong place is going to leave you high and dry. you seem determined to do this, it's your car and I have warned you. it's your business if you want to ruin your car. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
you just don't understand how bad this is for an independent suspension vehicle.  if this would work why have the manufactures not employed it.  this could make 4x4's lower for highway driving.  what about the angles of the steering parts and the CV joints.  also if you are still running P-rated tires they are not going to hang lifted or not.  one hit or scrap in the wrong place is going to leave you high and dry.  you seem determined to do this,  it's your car and I have warned you.  it's your business if you want to ruin your car.   highdesertranger

I had no intention of doing this it was just a discussion about the merits, lighten up. And yes it's been used for years in many different production cars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_adjustable_suspension

Here, hold my beer, ain't afeared, watch this it might work. Welcome to where I was born and proud of it Eastern Kentucky bet ya all, probably got tired of all the rules and migratedl! Some of us just love being told "You caint do that! We eventually figure it out if we live that long but the very few of the things aren't entertaining to watch plus it gives lots of piles of junk cars to pull parts from for other attempts. Monster truck with a Pris drive train here we come!